Chapter 11: Discreet but Obvious

Start from the beginning

Verdant rolled her optics. "Either way, I've got nothing to tell you."

"It can't be much worse than telling Ultra Magnus to frag himself," Wheeljack smirked.

She groaned. "Again?"

"Again?!" Wheeljack couldn't look more amused. "How often does that potty mouth open up when you're sleeping?"

Verdant glared harshly. "I can't help it."

He laughed, then he coughed, then he wheezed, his face contorted in pain. "Ugh, you're funnier than you think."

"Why are you coughing?" Verdant stood up and was at his side in seconds, servos gropping his chassis and dipping between his plates before Wheeljack could even process her movements.

"Ugh," Wheeljack pushed her arm away, "don't worry about it. Ratchet already checked me out."

"What did he say?" Verdant questioned, stopping her investigation and looking him in the optics seriously.

"Just that some water froze inside my respiration systems, nothing that won't thaw eventually."

Verdant took a step back. "Ah. That's not terrible news."

Wheeljack nodded. "See, there was no need for you to attack me with your motherly side."

"I did no such thing," Verdant glowered. "I was just doing my job."

"Uh huh," Wheeljack grinned up at her. "You were worried. You dragged me across an ocean and defended me from vehicons. I think it's about time you admitted we're friends."

She smiled teasingly. "That kind of declaration would give me a spark-attack."

"But if it didn't?"

"Then I guess I'd have a new friend," Verdant shrugged and turned away, "but it would, so I don't."

"Riiiight," Wheeljack shifted around on his cot. "You got soft."

"I did not."

"Did too."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"I'm not playing this with you," Verdant told him lightly before sitting down her cot. "Where is Bulkhead?"

"I dunno, he left last night after you kept insulting him."

She frowned. "During recharge?"

Wheeljack nodded. "That's a nasty habit."

"I know," she admitted miserably. "I should go apologize."

"And leave me alone in here?" he gave her big, wide optics. "But I need a friend to hold my servo when I don't feel good."

"You big protoform," Verdant laughed. "Cry me a river, my alternative mode can swim."

"Swim up the river and into my spark," Wheeljack sang.

Verdant rolled her optics. "Yes, the lubricant would extinguish your spark."

Wheeljack grinned. "I died for your friendship."

"You died because you were an idiot."

"Fair point."

Verdant laughed.

Wheeljack leaned back against the wall and smiled.

Her laughter slowed and the two smiled at each other for a moment before Verdant stood up. "Time to go."

"You're leaving me?"

"You'll survive."

She paused as she shut the door and looked back him with a mischievous grin. "For now."