Walking Lie Detector

Start from the beginning

I sighed in relief. "Okay, good."

"Alright!," Simmons said standing up. She turned to Fitz. "Would you mind taking her to Coulson's office? He said he needed to debrief before we landed."

"Sure," he replied, walking over to dismantle the machine above my head.

"I'll finish logging these scans", Simmons added, turning to the computer.

When Fitz took the machine off the chair I swung my legs over and hopped down. He beckoned me to follow him out of the lab. The doors hissed as they slid open and we took a sharp right up the stairs Coulson had taken earlier.

"So.." I said to Fitz. "Where you from?" I tried to lighten up the quietness of the space.

"Um, Scotland," he replied. "Simmons is British."

We reached the top off the stairs and began to walk down the hallway.

"Thought so," I said. "Are you two best friends?"

There was a slight stop in Fitz's step when I said that. "Yeah. We knew each other before we came here."

His crossed his arms when he said so. Either he's confident about that statement or nervous about it. He sure didn't look confident. But why would he be nervous about being friends with someone? Hmm.

"Um, so, how long have you been with STEAL?", I asked.

He stopped and looked at me. "You mean SHIELD?".

"Oh, yeah, that", I stuttered.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions don't you?", he said.

"I've been told," I replied as I studied him. He was slightly smiling. Or was that a grimace? He still had one arm crossed but the other hand was rubbing his forehead. He didn't seem relaxed exactly. But he should be. He's at home, isn't he? Maybe the comment I said earlier. About Simmons. He's thinking about her. I can tell.

"Well," he began. "about....maybe... uh, let's see". He started mumbling as if he was counting. "Six, seven? Seven years now, I think. If you include my time at the academy."

I stared at him. I was trying to read him. Figure out what he was feeling. After a few seconds I could tell. His eyes were soft when he mentioned the academy. Obviously he was fond of that place. But I could also tell something by his distant gaze. He was remembering something. I saw the same thing when I mentioned Simmons. Was it longing? No.... Fondness. Wait..... yep. I got it.
It took me a minute to realize I was still looking at him.

"Why are you staring at me?", he asked after a few moments.

"Oh, sorry", I said snapping back to reality. "Um,......" I trailed off.

"What?", he said.

I turned back to him. "You're in love with Simmons, aren't you?"

A look of shock spread across his face. "What? No! Why would you think that."

"Fitz, what I do is read people. That the whole reason I'm here. And you my friend, can be read like a book," I said smirking.

"Who told you to say that. Skye? It was Skye. She's always joking around," he said. He was nervous. That was no secret. I could tell by the slight crack in
his voice and the way he moved.

"No, no one told me anything. I didn't even know you existed until I walked into that lab," I replied.

"Well, you're wrong. Simmons and I are friends and we have been for a long time," he said denyingly.

"I knew that," I said rolling my eyes.

His eyebrows raised in confusion.

I sighed and continued. "Dude, I'm a walking lie detector."

He still looked confused.

"Okay. I've known you for, what, 30 minutes? And we've exchanged maybe 10 sentences? Right now I know you are a really smart, Scottish engineer that has been with SHIELD maybe 7 years. Before you came here you were at some "academy" with Simmons. You were good friends then and still are now. Then you ventured off to this plane together and you work side by side 24/7. But now you've started to see your friendship could me something more, and Simmons is more to you than just a friend. You are starting to get feelings for her which makes you slightly nervous every time you think of her. As for your personality, you probably like to be in your comfort zone. When you're not, you don't talk much. But when someone starts talking your language, you never stop talking. You like things to be planned out, not all over the place. You're loyal to your friends and co-workers and would never betray them. Was anything I just said not true?"

Fitz's mouth was hanging open and his eyes were wide. He was speechless.

I waited a few seconds. He still didn't say anything. I bit my lip and looked down. Oops. Probably just scared away another possible friend.

"Um...", I heard him say.

I looked back up. He was scratching his head. "Are you sure you didn't read my file or something? How did you know I was an engineer? I never told you that. And about Simmons....."

Typical. He doesn't want his secret crush getting out.

"I said I was scared of needles, and Simmons said she wouldn't let you take blood after that. She's obviously the med whiz, and apparently you're not, so what else is there for you to do? Engineering. And about Simmons, don't worry. I won't tell. If I told everyone everything I knew about everyone, some people would be in a lot of trouble," I said smiling a little bit.

He sighed. "Whatever, just - Coulson's office is there", he said pointing to a door.

"Bye then," I said walking toward it.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw him shake his head and walk away.