Chapter 7 - The Crusader's Oath

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Brigitte." he said as he put his tank top on.

"Your armor needs tending to as well. It's badly damaged so it will take time to repair" she replied as she acknowledged his thanks.

Brigitte is the daughter of the great Swedish blacksmith Torjborn and she has taken up her father's skills at being a blacksmith, though she is not as good as the master. Reinhardt grew close to Torbjorn during the Omnic crisis in overwatch and he, as an excellent blacksmith, tended to the crusader's armor. They took part in operation White dome in Istanbul where Torbjörn was seriously injured, losing his arm, but Reinhardt was able to save his life in the battle. He received commendation for his valor to rescue injured comrades. Torbjörn was hospitalized for a long time and Reinhardt spent a great deal of his time at his bedside talking endlessly. Half in jest, Torbjörn stated that if Reinhardt shut up, he would be allowed to name his newest daughter, who was due to be born very soon. He admitted that he had already been considering making Reinhardt the baby's godfather anyway. Reinhardt agreed, and when Torbjörn's daughter was born he named her Brigitte, which her mother, Ingrid, agreed with. Reinhardt was close with Brigitte as she grew up, telling her tales of valor and chivalry.

Having served into his late fifties, Reinhardt was faced with mandatory retirement from combat operations

Having served into his late fifties, Reinhardt was faced with mandatory retirement from combat operations. Torbjörn, only four years younger than him, was particularly incensed that the organization simply "pushed Reinhardt out" after giving everything of himself in years of service. The Swedish family would not forget the incident and left the organization themselves. Despondent about being removed from active duty, Reinhardt feared that his days of purpose and glory had ended. As times grew darker and Overwatch came under suspicion of corruption and sedition, Reinhardt could only watch as the cause he had dedicated his life to defending surrendered in disgrace.

Reinhardt walked over to the table where Brigitte tossed the medal. It landed on a table that had a word carved in its REINHARDT. He picked up the medal and looked back at Brigitte, who was trying to wash out the blood stain off.

"I feel obliged to answer" He informed her in a defeated tone.

"We talked about this! You don't have to do this anymore" she dropped the shirt in the bucket of water and walked over to sit on a stool next to the bar stand but instead leaned on the counter and continued "Winston's recall wasn't meant for you, this isn't your fight."

Reinhardt walked over to the stand and sat on a stool still looking deeply into the medal.

"Papa told me, after so many years of service, you gave overwatch everything and they still pushed you out. Why would you go back to them?" Brigette said in a frustrated tone. "Reinhardt are you listening?"

Reinhardt was not very focused on the words that Brigette was saying but turned to her and said "If I am called, and I do not answer, what is left Brigitte?".

She was caught off guard by that answer. She thought to herself that shouldn't he be thinking about his own health, given his age and injuries. Does he truly believe that in death he would be able to fulfill his mission?

"Walk with me... I will tell you the story of this place. The place where my life changed"

---------------

(for a detailed story of young Reinhardt, please watch the video"

*the following events take place after Reinhardt finishes recollecting the events of eichenwalde but before placing the medal on the throne*

The German forces ultimately pushed the omnics back enough to give the rest of the air force time to counterattack and drop bombs, but

Reinhardt walked inside the castle entrance as he finished telling the story with Brigitte following him. They had passed some Bastion in the castle courtyard that were completely overgrown with grass and colorful flowers. Brigitte thought of the irony that such a beautiful sight would belong to this deadly machinery. Reinhardt was silent now and she was hesitant to speak as she wanted to hear more of his adventures, but a minute of silence passed and she couldn't bear it any longer.

"Where are we heading now?" She asked as she stood in place.

Reinhardt turned the corner without answering her and disappeared out of sight, and in response she called out to him but only silence followed. She treaded slowly around the corner to see Reinhardt standing in front of a throne. A person with a crusader's armor that has been rusted and overgrown was sitting there. She realized this must be Balderich sat in a throne befitting for a hero. As this entire area was infested with omnics, no one would have been able to retrieve his body in the past. Therefore, it was left behind as he decayed and his armor rusted.

Reinhardt looked at the medal in his hand thinking of Balderich's last request of him; be their shield. He placed the medal on the throne's arm piece and looked directly into his general's helmet, where his eyes used to be.

"I have been called" He turned around and started walking away from the throne. "I must answer...always".

Eichenwald and Balderich were lost and with the exception of Reinhardt himself no other crusaders escaped the battle alive. Balderich's death changed Reinhardt and his mentor's sacrifice weigh on him till this day.