Chapter 17-Captive in the Shadows

Start from the beginning

The journey continued for what felt like an endless time. Fatigue gradually overcame me, and the feeling of exhaustion was overwhelming. Despite my anxiety and the desire to be alert and ready for any chance of escape, sleep began to win the battle. My eyelids grew heavy, my body relaxed, and I ended up falling asleep in the darkness of the trunk.

I felt a hand touching my hair, abruptly waking me. I opened my eyes with a start, and before me was John, watching me with a sinister smile.

Then he said we had arrived. He picked me up, placing me over his shoulder as if I were a sack of potatoes. I felt completely helpless and vulnerable.

While he carried me, we headed towards a hidden wooden cabin deep in the forest. Upon arrival, he opened the door and placed me in a chair. Then he closed the door, locking it with the key hanging around his neck.

He released me from the restraints, but his warning echoed in my mind. He looked into my eyes with coldness and said it was not worth trying to escape. That cabin was isolated in the middle of the dense forest, with miles of trees around, making escape impossible.

Curious and apprehensive, I decided to ask what his real goal was. I inquired if he intended to kill me, and his response revealed a sinister story. He admitted that initially, he was furious that I had escaped, but after two years of searching, he had finally found me.

When he introduced himself, and I refused to speak to him, he felt hurt and, in a fit of anger, attacked me. He knew that if I were attacked again, I would seek help, which led him to invite me to live together. His intention was to keep a constant eye on me, believing that this way, he could complete his perfect plan and prevent me from escaping his reach again.

However, the situation got out of his control, and I managed to escape once again. From that moment on, he claimed that destiny had drawn a bond between us, making it clear that I was destined to survive. When he realized that Kate was bothering me, he killed her, his sinister smile making it clear that he would not hesitate to resort to terrible acts to ensure that I did not escape his grasp again.

I was shocked by the detective's disturbing revelations and told him that he was completely insane. I tried to reassure him that my father would find me and that the authorities would be after him. However, in response, he simply laughed, as if my hope were futile.

He then showed me the room that would be mine in the cabin and then asked if I was hungry. I ignored the question and instead locked myself in the room. My intention was clear: to keep a safe distance from him and seek any opportunity to escape from that terrifying place.

I explored the room for objects that might help me, but options were scarce. The uncertainty about how to leave the cabin was overwhelming. The windows had bars, and there were no other visible exits. My only option was the door, and to escape, I would need to take the key from his neck when he was distracted.

I looked out the window, hoping to gain some insight into the outside, but the darkness of the night was oppressive, and all I could discern were the shadows of the trees.

Feeling exhausted, I knew that fatigue could make me vulnerable, but I also couldn't let my guard down. With this concern in mind, I lay down in front of the door, blocking access. This way, I had some additional security, knowing that he couldn't easily enter if he tried.

While battling against fatigue and feeling sleep approach, I could hear the distant echo of owls in the forest, cutting through the silence that enveloped the cabin.

The next morning, I woke up with the sun's rays on my face, warming the room. With the awakening also came the audible sound of my hungry stomach, rumbling through the room.