"Stop this wedding." I said as I rushed the last few stairs, his heavy foot falls sounded behind me. Following.

"Khushi?" Amma called me, her voice worried, but I avoided her and went straight for Jiji, who was looking at me with her brows pulled together and confusion lining her features.

"Khushi ji, what..." Anjali Ji's voice came from somewhere behind me, along with others' confused and angry voices but I avoided it.

I looked at Jiji in the eyes as she stared at me with her lips slightly parted, waiting for me to say something. But I looked at her for a second before turning to the man she was going to marry.

"If you had to choose between your family and Jiji...who would you choose?" My voice slightly shook, while his brows started to tug in between, hinting at his confusion.

"Khushi, what kind of childish behavior is this?" Amma said as she stepped beside me. But I kept looking at Jijaji, because it was important for me to know if he really loved Jiji enough or not. It was important before I gave an answer to Arnav Ji, who stood a few steps behind Jijaji while glaring at me. If Jijaji just said he would choose her over everything, then I would marry Arnav Ji without saying a word and save their marriage from being called off.

"What kind of question is that, Khushi?" Jijaji asked he glanced behind me, then back at me. Say you will choose her. Please say it.

"Answer me." I said, firmly as my whole body shook. I know I was asking for a lot, but... please say it.

"How can I choose between my family and Payal?" He asked, and a hint of irritation sounded in his voice. Just say it. I know you love her.

"Okay... maybe it was too much to ask." I nodded while swallowing dryly and glanced over his shoulder before looking back at him. "Who will you choose if you have to choose between Arnav Ji and Jiji?"

"Khushi." Jiji's voice came quietly from behind me as her fingers gently touched my arm, but I slightly flinched at the sudden stinging pain, and she hurriedly retrieved her hand. "Why...why are there bruised marks on your arms?...Khushi?" Neither did I turn to her or answer her.

"Ay, Khushi. Why are you asking these childish questions? I know you love Payaliya a lot, but come down from the mandap right now." Bua Ji said, from next to Babu Ji.

"How can I choose between them? You know I love them both. Why..." Jijaji replied. And I had my answer there.

"You will choose Arnav Ji and your fami..." I answered for him while looking into his eyes as they widened at my statement.

"Khushi Bitiya." Nani Ji interrupted me in a soft yet firm voice, clearly asking me to stop. But I didn't.

"And you claim to love my sister more than anything else in the world and promise to do anything for her." I said as I took a single step closer and noticed Arnav Ji closing by. "But the truth is, you will never go against your family's wishes and will always do whatever they ask you to do." I paused for a second. "Even if they tell you not to get married to Jiji until they give permission." My gaze flickered to Arnav ji before I turned them back.

"What are you saying?" Amma gripped my arm, but I kept my eyes fixed on Jijaji.

He nervously looked over his shoulder to Arnav Ji, who came to stand next to him and placed a hand on Jijaji's shoulder without taking his eyes off me.

"Khushi..." Arnav Ji said my name, like a warning. "Stop this nonsense."

I took a deep breath as I felt the same cold shivers of fear running down my body. Don't be afraid. He can't...do anything in front of everyone, right?

I turned my eyes back to Jijaji. He looked at me pleadingly as his Adam apple wobbled. And I knew he wouldn't say a word.

"Why? Didn't...you threaten to break Jiji and Jijaji's wedding if I didn't marry you? I should at least confirm he will keep her happy." I replied and saw Jijaji's eyes widening as he turned to his brother in shock. So, he didn't know. I glanced at Arnav Ji and found him already looking at me with his jaws clenched.

Wetting my lips, I finally turned to Jiji behind me, who was staring at me, eyes wide.

"Do you want to marry someone who isn't even able to take the decision to marry you without his brother telling him to do so?" I asked her in a low voice as I took her hands in mine but didn't look at her in the eyes. "Do you want to...be with someone who will never choose you over his family, even if they are wrong and you're right?"

I felt a hand gripping my arm as a tear fell from my eyes, but I didn't move, nor did I turn to see who it belonged to. Murmurs started around us. Soon it turned into voices demanding what kind of sister I was, and many other acquisitions followed. But I pushed all those voices away while keeping my head bowed and eyes squeezed shut as I waited for a single voice, which I yearned to hear...reach me.