Chapter 8

"C'mon." Felix offered me his hand, which I grabbed. "I wanna show you something."

And with that we went off through the woods and we arrived at a lagoon.

"Mermaids are here," Felix whispered in my ear.

"Mermaids," I breathed out in awe, "Can I see them?"

"Yeah," he told me, then immediately let out a shrill whistle.

The calm surface of the water began to ripple until finally arms broke free, followed by a head. Four more arms appeared behind the first and were accompanied by two heads.

I couldn't see their tails yet, but I didn't need to to know that these girls were not human. Their hair was long and unnaturally colored. The first had silvery blue hair, and the last two were blonde, but their hair emitted light, as if it were glowing.

Their faces were pale, yet perfect: perfectly arched eyebrows, crystal eyes framed by long, thick lashes, delicately upturned noses, and thick, pouty lips.

After staring at them for what seemed like forever but was mere moments a tail broke through the water, then went back under. The end was shaped like the tail of a whale, except it was covered in scales. Iridescent scales. They were a pearly color, but they too seemed to glow and sparkle.

"Wow," I breathed out, at a loss for anymore words. Felix chuckled softly. I turned to him and grinned, mermaids, he brought me to mermaids.

I walked to the edge of the lagoon, to the deep end, to get a closer look at the mermaids huddled there when I slipped, scraping my knees and head. Before I could react, or even stand, the blue-haired mermaid lunged for me. I screamed for a moment before I was violently shoved under the water.

I opened my mouth and eyes out of panic. Looking at the once beautiful mermaid all I saw now were blood red irises and razor sharp teeth. Her once pale face was now grey and distorted due to the water between us.

I could feel her claw-like nails dragging into my skin, and the harder she squeezed the darker her eyes got. I brought my hands up and clawed at her incoming face as a weak attempt of fighting back. I was weak, I had no air left, and I was underwater with three carnivorous mermaids. The odds were not in my favor.

She screamed when my nails made contact with her flesh, creating eight red trails along her once perfect face. I scratched her more and flailed, trying to free myself from her grip on my arms.

I could see black spots dancing across my vision due to oxygen loss. I was almost out when arms wrapped around my waist from behind. I screamed again before realizing they were pulling me up instead of down.

The moment my head surfaced, I gulped down oxygen, and turned to see my savior, Peter Pan. He drug me behind him to the ledge and shoved me up before hauling himself onto the ledge. He pulled me a few feet away from the ledge before letting go of my waist. I watched him storm over to Felix before whispering in his ear and storming away with him in tow.

I ran after them, afraid of being left alone with the mermaids. Once out of the cave, and a few feet into the woods, I lost sight of them and decided to head to the campsite instead. After I reached it, I rushed into my cabin to find a change of clothes. Opening my dresser drawer, I found a pair of black leggings, like the wet ones currently on me, and a long, olive green peasant shirt.