Prologue Part 4: Carl and the Fox Girl

Just a second before the siblings get attacked by the dark dragon, a monstrous figure emerged from the shadows. Its colossal fox form which is two times larger than the dark dragon, casts a long, foreboding shadow and as it drew nearer, a low, guttural growl reverberated through the darkness. It gradually opens its huge mouth, revealing rows of glistening teeth and bites on the dark dragon's skin. The dark dragon's cries filled the air, a symphony of pain that was impossible to ignore, and in a blink of an eye, the dark dragon's body was being cut into half by the giant fox.

           Both Hemera and Andrew gasp in astonish and fear as this horrifying incident happens in front of their very own eyes. As for the giant fox, it notices the siblings who's shivering in fear together, praying that the giant fox won't hurt them. To reassure their fear, the giant fox slowly shrinks in a human-size fox girl while approaching them. When the siblings notice that the girl is approaching them, they shiver even harder and even close their eyes. "Don't...Don't come near..!"

          However, the fox girl doesn't seems to understand why are they so afraid of her as she tilts her head in confusion. She doesn't even know that the blood stains of the dark dragon are everywhere on her clothes and even on her face. 

"Fimie..." a man walks out of the darkness as he sighed. "Didn't I tell you not to do it so harshly? Now there's blood everywhere..."

         The fox girl turns her head excitedly as she hears the man called her name "Sorry Mr Carl...but look! I found someone here!" she points at the siblings with her index finger while staring at them. 

"Mr Carl...? Why are you here...?" Hemera speaks up when she saw Carl approaching them, her voice took on a noticeable tremor, each word quivering on the precipice of her lips. 

         Carl pats them on both of the siblings' head to comfort them "Fear not, children. Come, follow me, I'll bring you to somewhere safer". Hemera don't have to a choice now, but to follow Carl so that she can protect Andrew, as an older sister. While on the way to Carl's house, Fimie approaches Hemera behinds her, "Your name is Hemera, right?" 

"Y...yea..and you?" 

"My name is Fimie, nice to meet you" the fox girl smiles friendly while wagging her tail right and left. Soon she switch her gaze at Andrew "And this is Andrew?" Meanwhile, Andrew is still a bit scared of her so he did not respond to her, instead, he hold his sister's hand tightly and hide behind her, like a shy child. Fimie doesn't mind when Andrew didn't respond to her so they keep walking until they reach their destination.

          It is a tall treehouse, a bit different from the small house they used to live, but it is full of warmth and harmony. "From now on, I will be your caretaker. Fimie can be counted as your new sibling, but it is based on your thoughts" Carl announces to Hemera and Andrew while opening the door for them. 

          Fimie is happy to show them all the rooms in the house, while Carl suddenly calls Hemera aside to talk to him. "Hemera so...I'm sorry for your father's death. As his friend, he wishes me to take care your two when he's gone...So, do you understand?" Hemera nods a little, with a slightly depressed face.

         Carl understands Hemera's feeling, as it is heartbroken to see a child bearing such a pain of losing a father at this young age. "If you want to cry, don't worry, just cry it out" He pats Hemera's head gently as he continues "Don't worry, I will always be here, okay? We will always be here when you need help" 

       The little girl can't hold her tears anymore as she cries in Carl's embrace, releasing her inner pain that she was hiding for so long, while Carl caressing her hair gently and peacefully. "Cry it out now...no need to worry..."