"Kuch nahi. Uth gaye hain, toh taiyar ho jaiye, der ho rahi hai," I said, attempting to move away. His intense gaze was starting to get on my nerves.

(Nothing. Get up, we are getting late)

"Yeh mera haath hai, koi gun nahi jo jab chaha pakad liya aur jab chaha chhod diya. Ab chodiye mera haath," I said when he didn't budge from the bed.

(This is my hand, not a gun that grasps and releases at will. Now, please let go of my hand.)

"Kyu? Aapko pasand nahi humara aapka haath pakadna?" He asked with a hint of amusement in his voice.

(Why? Don't you like holding being held by me?)

"Ji nahi. Ab main jaaun?" I replied with a sarcastic smile, and he finally released my hand.I hurriedly left the room, feeling his gaze still lingering on me.

(No. Can I leave now?)

In the hall, everyone was prepared for our trip to the temple, with my family joining us. It was a family outing, but the presence of Ravi, Rana Sa's cousin, was something I didn't particularly like. Still, I couldn't ignore the fact that he was a part of this family, Rana Sa's cousin.

As we settled into the cars, I noticed that Anvi and I were having a great time while my parents were engrossed in their own world. They had been the couple who made me believe in love, but they also made me think a thousand times before getting married. I wasn't sure what had changed so drastically in their relationship, but they acted normal in front of us while I could feel that the love was absent.

Throughout the drive, Rana Sa remained silent, not uttering a word. My mother offered him something to eat, but he politely declined. Meanwhile, I was famished, but Dadi Sa had instructed me to fast until the puja was over.

Upon reaching the temple, the priest instructed the married couples to bathe in the holy water and then offer it to the sun god, Suryadev. My mother was hesitant to go deep into the water, so she and my father stayed near the shore. Anita Aunty and Savita Aunty, along with their husbands, were also nearby, close to the artificial waterfall in the kund.

Rana Sa and I stood at the last step of the kund, where the water reached up to my chest. I took three dips in the water, fully soaking my clothes and hair, making them cling to my body. I offered the water to Suryadev before looking at Rana Sa. He had removed his overcoat, leaving him in just his shirt, which did nothing to hide his well-built physique. The shirt clung to his broad shoulders, highlighting the biceps, the chiseled chest, and that tempting V-line that was partially covered by his pants.

My goodness, had Mother Earth poured all her beauty into this man?

The tingling sensations in my belly were making me feel like I was running a fever. Even though I was standing in the cold water, I felt a rush of heat throughout my body.

Quickly averting my gaze from him, I turned to head towards the temple. I was careful in my steps, making sure not to trip in front of everyone, but this saree was making it challenging. As I thought, my foot slipped on a step due to the algae covering it, and I was about to fall when someone held me by the waist. I looked to see Rajveer was holding me.

When did he get here?

I hastily moved a few steps away from him because I felt uncomfortable under his gaze. 

"Bhabhi Sa, aaram se. Agar aapko chot lag jaati toh."

(Sister-in-law, careful. You could get hurt.)

"Um, sorry and thank you." I mummble in embarassement.

The sensation of his touch on my skin made me feel dirty, as if I wanted to peel off the part of my body where his touch had been. Just as I was about to walk away, I felt a hand slide around my waist, causing me to shiver. I knew it was him; I didn't need to confirm it, but I turned to look at him. He was glaring at Rajveer as if he wanted to rip his soul out.

"Chaliye, der ho rahi hai," he said, his voice colder than usual.

(Let's go, it's getting late,)

We walked inside the temple and followed the priest's instructions during the rituals. I wondered if Lord Shiva had truly chosen Rana Sa for me or not. I questioned if I deserved the love I longed for, even though a small part of my heart hoped for that love from him. It was foolish of me to desire something nearly impossible.

I returned to reality when the pandit ji instructed Rana Sa to fill my hairline with vermilion. I turned my head toward him, and he took the sindoor, moving his hand toward my head. As he filled my hairline, some vermilion accidentally fell on my nose.

Finally, the puja ended, and I was shivering from being all wet. I knew I'd start sneezing any moment now.

'Sneeze'

'Sneeze'

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Aaru, we're leaving. Some shifting is pending, and today the courier company called to say that the rest of the items are arriving," Anvi informed me.

"Alright, if you encounter any problems, just give me a call. And be careful arranging all the items. I'll come by later to check," I warned her.

"Haa, Meri Maa. Bye," Anvi said as she left with Mumma and Papa.

I don't know why, but I felt a bit despondent watching them leave me behind here alone.

'Sneeze'

'Sneeze'

"Hey Matarani."

I felt something warm wrapped around me and turned my head to see Rana Sa putting his overcoat around me.

"This isn't necessary," I said, my words followed by another sneeze.

But he ignored my protests and buttoned up the coat. I must have looked like a five-year-old getting dressed by his mother.

"I must look like a bear in this," I grumbled to myself.

But he chuckled, the first time I'd heard him laugh since I'd known him. His lips briefly curved into a smile for a couple of seconds before returning to their usual straight line. It made my heart flutter, igniting a desire to see him smile more often.

 It made my heart flutter, igniting a desire to see him smile more often