The fire lit inside me at the simple question, a rage I couldn't contain anymore.

"Being so difficult?! Are you being serious? Less than twenty-four hours after you make out with me, you make out with Natalia and I'm just supposed to swallow that like a cup of water?"

I hadn't realized that I had stepped closer to him, my anger being the driving force, my heart pounding. It was his hands on my waist that cleared the red hae around my eyes and made me realize our proximity. My voice wavered and my mind was clouded at the feeling of his fingers grazing my skin.

"Zara –"

"No!" I interrupted, pulling away from him. The distance between them was necessary, a barrier I couldn't afford to break just yet. I mentally shook myself, bringing myself back to the field of strength and clarity as I redirected the conversation. "I appreciate the apology, Haden, but right now, I just want to see Rebecca."

He opened his mouth and then snapped it shut, his eyes roaming my face then a sign escaped his lips. After a long silence, his gaze softened and he finally nodded.

"Fine, I'll bring Rebecca up to see you," he agreed, his voice tinged with remorse.

But I pressed further. "Permanently?"

Haden's gaze met mine, and his voice hardened. "I won't allow a rogue to roam freely on my lands."

"She isn't just a rogue, she's –"

"Think of when you were on the grounds. They attacked you without warning simply because you were a rogue and they thought you had no association with the pack. I won't allow her to walk around on the grounds, not just for my sanity, but for her safety."

He took a step forward and his hand circled around my forearm as he whispered, "Do you know how terrifying that was for me? I don't think I came to terms with the fact that you're my mate until that moment. That feeling of hopelessness. I thought I'd lost you when I found you lying on the hospital bed, and I was miles away when I was notified. The fear that ran through me... indescribable. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I don't want to lose you. I want a chance to make things right, to give us a shot at this mate bond."

My gaze held his and I felt my shoulders slump as I considered his words. "You don't know what you want."

He sighed, his gaze intense. "I want you – there's no clearer way of saying that. I was... wrong before, and I regret that. Alphas don't apologize, princess, but I'm here apologizing because I want to try and make this work. I'm asking for another chance."

I hesitated, my emotions swirling as I considered his proposal.

"I'll think about it," I said and watched his eyes light up, "after I see Rebecca," I cheekily added with a faint smile touching my lips. With that, I turned away and walked out of the room, leaving him to dwell on the weight of his actions, leaving our future hanging in the balance.

HADEN

     Zara's fleeting smile echoed in my mind, a tantalizing mixture of challenge and uncertainty that left me chuckling with an odd sense of excitement. My eyes drifted south as I watched her walk away. She was a tempest, unpredictable and fiercely independent, and I found myself captivated by her spirit.

Conner, get the rogue Rebecca upstairs, I mindlinked him, please.

Sounds like you're finally taking my advice, he smartly said and I didn't have to be looking at him to see the smirk on his face, even has you learning some manners. Good for you, Almighty Alpha.