15|Old Friend

(Present Day, 2023)

"Thank you for helping me pack," the man says to his best friend. "I honestly needed the help."

His best friend chuckles and waves him off with his hand. "Don't worry about it, dude. You know I've got your back...especially since you're dealing with a divorce."

The man called his best friend to help him pack all of his belongings so he can move back to his original apartment.

The woman is also planning on moving out of their home. He heard from her parents that she'll be moving out of state after their divorce was finalized; but he didn't get any details of where she'll be living.

And at the same time he didn't care.

The man begins stacking his old band records into a box. "Thank you," he tells his friend while sorting through more records. "I never thought it would come to this. I really loved her, even though she drove me insane."

His best friend begins taping a box in his hands. "I know, buddy. She was the love of your life."

The man chuckles dryly. "Well, she wasn't exactly the love of my life. Claudia Mason is the love of my life."

His best friend stops taping. "Claudia? Didn't she die?"

Dark memories start to pour into the man's head. "Yes," he finally says. "She died many years ago."

His best friend walks over to him and pats him on the shoulder. "I'm so sorry. I only met Claudia once, but she was such a sweet person."

The man clears his throat and resumes packing up his records. "Anyways, I also just wanted to thank you for always sticking with me for all these years. You're my best friend from frickin' high school for crying out loud."

His best friend smiles and continues taping the boxes. "Of course, man! We'll always be brothers. You were always there for me back in the days. Remember when we ordered pizza and got drunk and watched The Notebook?"

The man burst into complete laughter. "How could I forget? You were so heartbroken over that Haley girl back in 9th grade! I remember I told you she wasn't worth it and we got so wasted!"

His best friend chuckles. "God I was so in love with Haley. Can't believe I got drunk over a bitch like her. And I even watched The Notebook."

"Hey, The Notebook was actually a good movie."

His best friend thinks about it for a second. "Eh, you're probably right. I was crying like a baby over the 365 letters scene."

The man laughs and seals his box with tape. "Such a great movie."

His best friend suddenly gets serious and gives the man a reassuring smile. "Just know you can always count on me, man. If you want to get drunk and watch a sappy chick flick I'll be your guy."

The man smiles and places the box of records on top of the couch. "Or maybe we can just go get a drink like normal men."

"Or that too."

The man laughs and gives his best friend a quick bro hug. "Thank you," he releases the hug and returns back to packing. "You've always been such a supportive friend to me, Tommy."