"Your grandmother?"

"Nevermind." Knox sighed. "The point is that if I ever see her or Jessica again, there's going to be hell to pay."

"Is that so?" Jason asked, lifting an eyebrow. "This is the most I've seen you worked up in a long time. I might have to find this psychic secretary. She really impressed Patrick."

"Birds flying in the same direction impress Patrick. He's an idiot. He told me she took donuts from the snack cart. I should have her arrested for stealing."

"Now you sound ridiculous." Jason laughed. "I actually miss this side of you. You're all business lately. Listen, I'll get us both something to drink. Hopefully someone spiked the punch although I doubt it. Don't get too close to any of the children. I'm afraid you might scare them."

Jason looked past Knox and grinned. "Isn't that Mr. Montgomery's son? The one with the dinosaur?"

Knox didn't bother to respond. Jason smiled, shaking his head. Knox turned to see Tate Montgomery and another woman standing in front of the pink dinosaur who no longer wore its mask. His eyes widened and a spark of anger ignited within him.

Nessa normally didn't mind rambunctious kids and this wasn't her first time wearing a full body costume

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Nessa normally didn't mind rambunctious kids and this wasn't her first time wearing a full body costume. Being around children while in a costume could get dangerous.

Nessa knew this because she'd had all kinds of drinks and food spilled on her, a few punched her stomach, and one boy tried tripping her by stepping on her trail. They should've assigned her a bodyguard.

As if her thoughts weren't enough to jinx herself, a scuffle between two young boys sent a cup of red cherry punch flying at her dinosaur head. One of the other volunteers gasped and scolded the boys before handing her some napkins.

"You may want to wipe your mask before it stains," the volunteer whispered, looking around.

Nessa nodded, the oversized dinosaur mask falling forward. "I'll be right back."

She headed towards the bathrooms before removing her mask to stare at the damage. Red punch covered half the mask. "Great. Just great."

"Nessa? Is that you?"

Nessa's shoulders froze and a shiver of dread sanced down her back making sure to step heavily on her pride.

She turned to see Tate, her ex-boyfriend, standing outside the women's bathroom. She looked around and inwardly grimaced. He would be here to see her in such a moment of lowliness.

"No," she said in a high-pitched voice. "I don't know a Nessa. Do we look like one another? She must be a doppleganger."

Tate gave her an incredulous look before laughing. "Stop playing. I know it's you. What are you doing here?"

They both looked at her costume and Nessa cleared her throat. "Well, you asked if it was me. I thought I could play a joke on you."

"Are you working here today at one of your...your part time jobs?" he asked, his words dripping with discomfort.