Chapter 20: Heartbeats

Start from the beginning

"Diiii! Stop it!"

The following morning, Muskaan finds herself sitting in her car. It's parked outside Aarav's office. She's sitting there, thinking about her conversation last night. She puts a hand on her chest, leans back on her chair and thinks about Aarav. Memories flash in front of her eyes, from when they were young to now. Every moment precious to her flashes past her. And as they do, she notices her breath. It's deep and stable. She notices her body, her muscles are relaxed and resting. And finally, she notices her heart. Calm and steady. Just like Meera had said.

She feels calm, she feels stable, she feels at peace. With a hand still on her heart she lets her heartbeats consume her. This is what she wants, and there is only one man who gives that to her. It felt so right. So beautiful. It felt like love. Is she in love? The mere thought causes her to feel a chilly breeze sweep past her, a shiver running down her spine as goosebumps erupt on every inch of her skin.

Unable to bear another second away from the man stuck in her mind and maybe in her heart, she steps out of her car, locks it and rushes straight into the building. It takes her five minutes to reach his office and when she does, she sees him sitting on his desk. Two files open in front of him, a phone pressed to his ear. Seeing him busy, Muskaan stops just outside and waits for him. Looking down at her feet she waits thinking back to her heartbeats, but a door opens and an arm wraps around her waist snapping her out of her daze.

She looks up at Aarav who walks her over to his chair as he talks into the phone. It doesn't take before she finds herself on his lap. A gasp escapes her lips when his lips land on hers for a quick second. He's still on the phone talking, how can he kiss me like that?

Sighing to herself, she looks away and waits patiently. "What's brewing in your pretty little mind, rooh?"

Muskaan looks at Aarav, her eyes wandering across his face as if taking him in for the first time. "You love me?" Her words cause Aarav to look away. His heart, his existence, his soul, everything about him loves her. And she knows it. Then why is she asking?"

"Look at me, Aarav." His eyes snap up to hers.

"Tell me you love me." Her whisper breaks his heart.

"I love you." The three words cause her heart to beat louder, with more intensity, like it's never beaten before. But it's still steady. It still gave her peace. He gave her peace. 

"The day you say these words back it'll be heaven on earth in my eyes."

Muskaan feels her heart explode with a new kind of sensation and suddenly she feels overwhelmed. Pouting slightly, she hugs her Deewana close to her heart. Seeing her distressed, he jostles her lightly and pulls out his phone to distract her.

"Did you read this?" 

Muskaan looks down at the screen. Her arms are still around him. 
"It's an announcement from Avantika."

Taking the phone in her hands, she reads the announcement out loud.

"With a heart filled with ache, shock and pure disgust, I'm announcing that my engagement has now been broken off. I was engaged to a man named Vaansh Agarwal. It was out of love and acceptance of the two families. However, recent revelations have exposed the true intentions of Vaansh and the Agarwal family. The intentions left me horrified as this man saw marriage with me as an opportunity to weave his way into the business market and make a name for himself. He was also in a relationship with another woman, who he has continued to proposition after being engaged to me. I stand by this strong woman and express my regret for the situation she was placed in. To conclude, I'd like to reiterate that Vaansh Agarwal and I are no longer engaged."

Muskaan looks at Aarav, her mouth wide open. She knows how influential Avantika and her family is. This will have a huge impact on Vaansh's future. She reads the post a few more times to herself. It's like the tsunami at the back of her mind is finally rested. This is what she wanted. To hurt him the way she was hurt. And now she got it. A smile creeps onto her face and looks at Aarav. They take a moment of silence before she laughs and leans down to kiss him.

Their lips mould together and their hands hold each other in place as they lose themselves in one another. Muskaan can't help but feel content. The tighter she holds Aarav, the more the scars Vaansh left on her heart seem to fade. It's over. Finally.

And now her heart is ready for what's next. Ready to put a label on what she has in her hands right now. Her wait is over, now it's time for Aarav's wait to be over. And she knows how to do that.

HAPPY DIWALI!

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE UPDATE AND A REMINDER THAT THERE MIGHT NOT BE AN UPDATE NEXT WEEK XOXO

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT ONE!