Ch 58 Why Am I Here?

Start from the beginning

Yagi sighs. "It doesn't matter where you go, politics and the government are never simple."

It's a good thing I won't have to deal with anything like that for another few years. I'm not dumb enough to think that heroes aren't involved in politics, but at least I won't have to lobby for the right to continue being a hero after I become one. And Nezu has offered to tutor me once a week, so I'm definitely going to have enough blackmail on them so that they won't bother me with anything unreasonable by the time I graduate.

The staff don't whisper that he's rat satan for nothing.

But as for his question...

"I would say to wait and see until after the Sports Festival. You'll be able to get a decent understanding of everyone's abilities, and some of their personalities. Plus it would mean someone from another course could catch your eye, like Shinso."

"Oh?" The fact that I offered up an actual potential candidate catches his attention. "What's this 'Shinso' like?"

"Hmm." I've known him even less than anyone in my class, only a few days. But...

"He's clearly suffered from quirk discrimination, but he hasn't let that dissuade him from pursuing his dream of becoming a hero. I'm pretty sure that once he obtains a license -because I have no doubt he will get one- the first thing he'll do is flip off the people who told him he'll end up as a villain. Kind of like how I did to you when you told me to be realistic back on the rooftop."

I hold back the smirk at Yagi's wince. "Which is good, because according to basically everyone else, his quirk would make him an amazing villain." I shrug. "Which is true, but it would also make him an amazing hero. Though the more popular he gets, the more trouble he'd run into utilizing it. He'd probably work best as an underground hero."

"Really? What's his quirk?" He asks with interest.

"You can find out in the Sports Festival with everyone else." I shut him down immediately. Sure, Shinso might want the teachers to have their eyes on him to try and improve his chances of transferring into the hero course, but I'd also promised not to tell anyone about his quirk. The only reason he even told me is because I'm quirkless so he sympathizes.

Yagi sighs. "I suppose it would be better not to look at any of the students with any preconceptions." He muses before getting a suspicious look on his face.

"But that's enough of the serious talk. Tell me, when are you going to confess to Young Akihiro?"

I spit out my drink. I did not expect that question! "Wh-wh-what are you talking about!?" I yell. "W-w-we're just f-f-friends!"

He smirks back at me, and I just know that this is payback for bringing up the rooftop earlier. "It's obvious to anyone who cares to look that you have an interest in her. Which is reasonable," he nods in a knowing way. "She's got looks, drive, and a great quirk. Anyone would be interested!"

I groan with my head in my hands. "Why are we talking about this? Why?"

I get a chuckle in reply. "Because if you don't make a move, someone else will. Especially when she shows what she can do at the Sports Festival."

As much as I don't want to admit it, he's right. Once everyone else sees how amazing she is, she's going to attract more than just professional interest from the pros. She's going to attract romantic interest from our classmates.

But it's not that simple! She's out of my league! And I don't want to risk ruining our friendship if I get rejected!

Yagi places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Talk to your friends and get their advice. But remember, either she says yes, or she says no. Isn't that the worst that can happen?"

I hold back the urge to mention the fact that she's capable of eating human meat with no repercussions -unless she murdered someone to get it of course. So, other than the obvious worst of the worst case scenarios of her murdering me for offending her by asking, she could always take a bite out of me. And I'm very attached to my parts!

But I know that's just me blowing the consequences to overgrown proportions. Especially if I ask her around other people. Really, Yagi is right! The worst that can happen is she says no. Right?

'~'

No. No it's not.

At the end of the day, I talk to my 'clan', as Catia calls friend groups, which now includes Momo after Catia's outburst at how they were treating Ashido. And while Jiro and Tsu get weird expressions, the others encourage me to at least ask her on a date.

After all, they say. The worst she can do is say no. Right?

Once again, we're all wrong.

No.

It.

Is.

Not.

It's just after the last bell has rung, and I watch as she physically vomits after hearing me ask her if she'd like to go out to dinner with me. Luckily Aizawa-Sensei keeps a trash can by the door that she's using. But I'm just staring with dead eyes as I see what she thinks of me as a romantic interest.

Eventually though, after she finishes heaving, she pulls up. "S-sorry, Midnoinya," she starts. At least she's still using my nickname. That's a good sign...? "I-It's not mew, this is something e-else." She looks like she's about to vomit again, her face twisting into an expression of absolute disgust before seeming to swallow it down.

"S-sorry, but I knead to talk to Nezu." And with that she rushes out the door, leaving a room of dead silence in her wake.

Slowly, I turn to the others, who flinch back a bit at my expression. "The worst she can do is say no. Right?" The others at least have the grace to look chagrined.