twenty-six

"jonathan, go get the others! hurry!" sam begged, attempting to move on from cleaning el's wound.

the rest of them running back down the isle. "a lot to explain in little time. main concern is finish bandaging el." sam said, moving so max could take over.

max quickly disinfecting, and then bandaging the wound. everyone moving el to sit closer somewhere colder. to help calm her down.

"we think dustin needs help, we don't know for sure though. he kept cutting out." mike explained. "well how are we going to help them, if we don't know where they are?" will asked.

"i can...i can find them." el choked out. "um..um...if you're up for it." mike said, even though it was clear he wanted to tell her no.

sam grabbed a random fourth of july shirt she found, tying it around el's eyes. mike and max opening the fridge doors, lucas setting his walkie out to static. everyone gathered around waiting, watching in silence.

lucas pulling his coke open. the hissing and clicking of the tin can breaking the silence. "quiet." max whispered. "oh, sorry." lucas whispered back. lucas beginning to sip on the beverage, which had recently rebranded.

"how do you even drink that?" mike asked. "because it's delicious." lucas simply replied. "what?" mike and max questioned. everyone giving lucas a confused look. everyone knew that the old coke was better than the new one.

"it's like carpenter's the thing. the original is a classic, no question about it. but the remake...sweeter, bolder...better." lucas said, stopping to slurp the drink loudly, smacking his lips, and releasing a satisfied sigh.

"you're insane." mike countered.

"so, you prefer the original thing?" lucas asked.

"what? no, i'm not talking about the thing, i'm talking about new coke." mike said.

"it's the same concept, dude." lucas replied.

"uh, actually, it's not the same concept." mike argued.

"it is the same concept." lucas insisted. sam internally groaning at the stupidity of the argument.

"no it's not."

"yes it is." lucas yelled, clearly breaking el out of her focus. el, ripping her blindfold off, shouting hey at the two.

"sorry."

"sorry."

"did you...find him?" mike asked.

"the movies. he's at the movies." el announced. everyone beginning to stand up, to leave. lucas grabbing his full shopping cart of fireworks.

"dustin's so freaked out about the gate he decides to go watch a movie? yeah, makes total sense." lucas stated, heading towards the exit.

"you're positive he said 'gate' and not 'great'?" max asked.

"yeah, like, 'this movie i'm watching is great.'" will suggested.

"sounded like 'gate'" el replied.

"which would explain how the mind flayer's still alive." mike added.