THIRTY ONE

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

Seraphina ignored the pounding of her feet against the ground as she ran towards the Little Palace, the same way she ignored the aching of her heart that she only had herself to blame for breaking

She had to find David. That was all she needed. To know and see that David was safe.

Her limbs felt numb when she saw the dark shadows encasing the Little Palace as she blinked back tears. Despite the darkness, gunshots rattled through the air. They were still fighting. She could help, she felt it in her bones, and with all her strength, Seraphina pushed through the darkness.

She ran blindly up the stairs, trying not to slip on the dirt covered dress Nikolai had chosen for her. The fabric that was previously clean, now covered in debris with ripped holes littered out. When she finally reached the rooftop, she found the Grisha fighting for their lives.

Relief flooded through her as her eyes fell on David, who was certainly alive and well. Her fingers reached for a rifle as she took up the space next to him, risking her life by his side, praying that Nikolai had found safety.

Alina's light cracked in the sky, buying them a few seconds, David's whistle shrieked through the atmosphere and the one remaining dish that Alina filled with light soared into the sky, slicing straight through the nichevo'ya, leaving nothing but their burnt ashes.

Seraphina beamed when the stars began to peak through, hope filling each Grisha as they cheered.

But, a nichevo'ya tore through, dodging the beam and hurling itself at the dish. Mal began his attack on the creature instantly, but they were an endless storm of ruin. As one died, another appeared, and before Seraphina could even realise, the dish broke and the light wavered out, leaving them all surrounded by the dark.

She felt for David's hand, screams piercing through the cold night. She heard Alina shouting, and the horrifying whirr of the Darkling's creature. How did they end up here? How did she end up fighting in a war that she did not want to believe in?

With her breath shaking, she listened to Alina's orders pulling David with her, she headed towards the doors, the shadow soldiers hot on their trail. Her throat was scratchy with fear. They had to make it through this. She made a promise to Nikolai, and Seraphina Kostyk was never one to break a promise.

Time moved swiftly, causing more pain and destruction as it went on. Before she knew it, her terrified eyes were watching Zoya and Nadia's brother use squaller winds to heave broken furniture and tables at the monsters.