FOUR

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

A week had passed before Alina woke up

A week had passed before Alina woke up. A week of sitting and waiting to find out what the Darkling's intentions were. Seraphina had been lucky so far, she'd spent most of her time below deck and tending to the odd wound here and there. She'd even had time to read in her hiding place.

But here's the thing about luck, it runs out. It's like an hour glass, slowly dwindling down to the last moments of time before it eventually stops. Seraphina was full to the brim with anxiety wondering when her luck would run out. How long would it be until the Darkling realised she was here?

Part of Seraphina wondered if it would be better to come clean before the hour glass finished its course. But what good would it do her? It wasn't as if she could waltz up the Darkling and confess that she'd abandoned the war effort and find out if he knew what she had done. Did he know what she did last summer?

It was too much to think about. Maybe David was right, maybe she should've stayed at the little palace. It was the rational thing to do. But Seraphina was never really known for being rational.

The waves of the ocean were a deep blue, a prism of colours so enchanting that Seraphina felt tempted to dive right in, feel the glittering liquid on her skin. Let the sea comfort and guide her through the mess she had gotten herself into.

Seraphina leaned against the railing of the ship, staring at the sky above her. The sun was setting, leaving the sky full of an array of gold and orange, blending together to create a shade of light that Seraphina couldn't name if she tried. It was clear with the exception of a few small and fluffy clouds floating above.

The wind whistled in her ears joined with the sound of the crew working behind her, three squallers stood by the masts with their arms raised, their blue keftas flapping at their sides as they helped the whaler sale. It was fairly busy up on the main deck, but Seraphina didn't mind the bustling atmosphere, it helped keep her thoughts from drifting to the captain of the crew.

Seraphina pushed herself off the railing, deciding to help out with the rationing for tonight's dinner. The Darkling's grisha weren't much help when it came to working and they were easy to tell apart from the actual sailors, then again, Seraphina had lived their life of luxury, they wouldn't be expected to work on the ship. Not even Sturmhond's. After all, it wasn't their job.

Her eyes flickered between the bread and Alina, who was now walking the length of the main deck and heading straight towards the Darkling, Ivan's hand gripping tightly onto her bicep. She stayed quiet when the Darkling began to speak to Alina, it was rude to eavesdrop on a conversation but this could potentially benefit her or her crew.