Chapter 20: Administering Heavy Medicine

Start from the beginning

Chu Xia was in no position to blame him; she had just arrived midway.

If it weren't for the fact that she couldn't sense a trace of the original owner's when she arrived, she would have tried her best to return the body.

Unfortunately, before she arrived, the original owner had died, and her soul (she wasn't sure if the soul existed) was gone.

She had a vague feeling that she could only live here and couldn't go back.

What Cen Zhengnian truly feels sorry for is Cen Huai'an, a five-year-old child who has been starved by the original owner since childhood and has learned to find food on his own.

So Chu Xia didn't answer and turned to ask Cen Huai'an: "An'an, your father is sending beef jerky and dried fruit; is that okay for you?" 

Cen Huai'an looked at the ants passing by near his feet and replied in a somewhat indifferent tone, "Whatever."

He doesn't know what beef and mutton taste like, and what beef jerky and dried fruit look like. If it's being sent, just send it.

Chu Xia added, "An'an says it's fine."

Cen Zhengnian pondered for a moment: "What about you?"

Chu Xia smiled and said, "I'm fine with anything. Do you want to talk to An'an?"

She and Cen Zhengnian really had nothing to say. Instead of both of them being awkwardly silent later, it was better to let An'an talk to him.

When Cen Zhengnian heard Chu Xia's words, his heart beat much faster. That was his son. How could he not want to talk to him?

His voice stiffened. "Okay."

"An'an, your father wants to talk to you."

Cen Huai'an looked at Chu Xia, then at the phone, and walked over.

Chu Xia gave him the phone, and Cen Huai'an put it to his ear, clasping his hands on the table, lowering his head, and saying nothing.

"An'an, I'm dad."

Cen Huai'an said nothing, his fingers wrapped around the phone cord and spinning around on the table.

Not hearing Cen Huai'an's voice, Cen Zhengnian glanced at the phone to make sure he hadn't hung up. He carefully raised his voice. "An'an, can you hear me?" 

"Yes." 

Cen Zhengnian didn't pay much attention to Cen Huai'an's cold tone and softened his voice, saying, "An'an, can you tell Dad what you like? Dad will buy it and send it to you."

Cen Huai'an listened to Cen Zhengnian's words and became more and more angry. All his dad could do was send things, but he wouldn't come back. What's the use!

He didn't want to listen anymore, and he didn't want to continue talking to his father. He hung up the phone with a bang, turned around, and ran away.

"An'an!"

Chu Xia hurriedly gave the phone money to the corner store owner and hurriedly followed him out.

On the other end, Cen Zhengnian heard the "beep" after the call was hung up, and a bitter smile formed on his lips. What had he been expecting? It was only natural for An'an to hold resentment toward him. He had thought about it long ago, but he had still held on to some hope.

"Mr. Cen?"

The guard looked at Cen Zhengnian worriedly, and Cen Zhengnian shook his head and said, "I'm fine."

He gazed at the endless yellow sands outside for a while in silence, then composed himself and returned to the research room to continue his work.

In the base, scientific research work was paramount, and it was a critical phase in the project. He couldn't let his personal emotions affect his work.