Chapter 26 - BAIT

Mason Calland

"Why are you here?" I asked Kayden who paid a visit when he should be busy with his wife. He has work in Pennsylvania, so he decided to come.

"I want to see why my wife wanted to see her so much."

"She's the one who wanted to see her, but you're here without her?" I raised my eyebrows as the concert started. We're in the VIP box, looking straight to the main stage.

"Yes. I'm not risking my wife's life." I shook my head, annoyed at him. When Everly appeared on stage, I saw Kayden nodding his head.

"So you decided not to go rogue?" I put my hands into my pants pockets.

Ever since I got involved with Everly, my identity slowly appeared on social media, and her fans were crazy enough to dig into my past. They knew my name, age, and what I do, which is just tech business.

All of her fans have different opinions when it comes to our relationship. Some of them liked the fact that we were together, some of them didn't, some of them didn't mind that their idol dated someone like me, and some of them predicted that our relationship would end in three months.

Before Kayden came, some of them found that I was waiting in the VIP box. They even took some pictures, disappearing soon because I have Leroy on standby.

"No."

"So we're both famous now? Should we do social media now?" He said in a very cheerful tone. Tatiana became famous immediately after she surrendered her title, but people's attention was on Kayden, and he loved the attention.

"You're loving it too much."

"We can go out in public and hold hands; let's see how they react. Kayden Grant and Mason Calland ditched their significant other to be together. I'll fuel the fire by telling the media we're having an affair." I grabbed his collar and pushed him to the wall.

He's pissing me off because I know he's the type to fool around.

"So since she likes to write songs about her ex, will she write you one too?" I wished I had my sniper with me. "My bodyguard is an asshole." He mocked. "Or maybe my bodyguard is a dick." When I was about to grab his collar, he ran out.

He's starting to become a comedian after he got married. His sense of humor declined so severely.

My attention turned to Everly, who was having fun on stage. My phone rang, and it was Rodi.

"We found one of the Novikovs, bringing her to Seattle now," Rodi said as soon as I picked up.

"Where did you find her?"

"Mexico. We caught her after she delivered two hundred kilos of crack and weed." I checked the time, and since her concert had just started, she'd end in three hours.

"Don't bring her to the headquarters. Lock her up in our torture chamber."

"Very well."

"After she's done, we're going back to Seattle." With that, I ended the call with Rodi. My phone vibrates, and there's a message from Kayden.

He sent me of Albert and Natty, who were secretly talking in the corner.

Mason: Don't worry. We already have people tailing them. We hacked into their phones, too.
Kayden: Fucking idiot. I'm not talking about those two.
Kayden: The laser on his head.

Before I can reply...

Kayden: He's dead.

I ran to where Kayden was because I knew the stadium's layout too well. I heard people screaming, and when Kayden saw me, he gestured for me to come.

"Laser drones. They blew up his head." He said as soon as I saw Albert's dead body without a head.

"We got one of the Novikovs," I said, and Kayden turned to me, completely shocked.

"Is this their way to warn you?"

"I don't know."

"How about the device that I gave you? Where did you put it?"

"In Everly's home." Kayden's jaw dropped when he heard my answer.

"You're fucking sick. Why would you put it there?!" I asked him to make me a giant fiber laser that can cut anything. It can cut through flesh and bones. He thought I'd put it in my apartment.

"I have my reasons, Grant." He kneeled to see the laser's impact when I saw a laser pointed at his body. I quickly pushed him away, and our team managed to destroy it.

"What the fuck!" Kayden hissed as he looked up. "Hugo!" He called, and Hugo came running to us.

"Bring the drone to me. Let's go back to Seattle." Hugo nodded and left the scene. "Let's bring out Monty." He patted my shoulder and took out his phone to call the headquarters.

"Bring in Monty, Barret." Monty is a device that Asher created. Kayden named it Monty, and we called it Monty ever since. Monty is a very powerful device that can detect weapons that don't belong to The Bloodhounds and kill them.

"Why Albert?" I asked, and Kayden turned to me.

"Interesting question, but I'm curious to see Everly's reaction." Right.

"See you in Seattle." With that, Kayden left.

Everly Jordan

As soon as I finished my concert, Mason grabbed my hand and led me to the car. He told Leroy to go to the airport right away. Mason looked a little stressed.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Albert's dead." His statement made my heart stop for a second.

"No," I whispered.

"He's dead. It was a laser, and they blew his head." I covered my mouth with my hands. My whole body went numb, and my head started spinning.

Three deaths.

My dad. Anastasia. Albert.

"I have a plan, but I don't think it'll work well." He sighed.

"Tell me," I said, and Mason shook his head. He ran his hands through his head, frustrated.

"Tell me, please. I want whoever tried to kill me to stop."

"We all want that, but it's not that simple."

"Tell me what to do."

"We want to use you as a bait." Oh fuck.