Chapter 34

I lay there in the morning, watching Eden sleep, contemplating how such a dominant, aggressive lover could turn into such a tender man so fast. We had fallen asleep together as he had continued to hold me. The last thing I remembered was him kissing the top of my head softly. I had screamed things last night that embarrassed me to think about now, but they had only fueled his desire, not turned him away as they would have with Dan. This person lying next to me was only my second sexual partner, not counting the scenes with Madeleine, and I had only met him briefly twice. Could I trust this stranger?

I heard a low groan as he stirred and rolled towards me. He smiled at me, pulling me close, his lips finding mine. We made love slowly this time, his arms holding me tight while we kissed. It was perfect.

Afterward, we sat for breakfast in bed, side by side, talking more about our backgrounds and families.

"I wasn't too rough last night, was I?" he said after we had finished eating.

"No, it was new for me, but I loved it."

"Abby, I know last night might have seemed a little fast given that we just met, and I hate I have to head out of town today, but I would like very much to see you again soon. Are you free next weekend?"

"I... uh..." and then it hit me—the first realization of what I had done signing the contract.

"It's OK. You can be open about anything with me."

"I've actually accepted a contract with Madeleine..." I said, looking away as I spoke, "at the Fleur-de-lis. I have to be there next Sunday morning."

He suddenly erupted into a deep belly laugh, almost falling out of the bed as he did.

"I don't understand. What is so funny?"

"I should have guessed when I saw you at the club that she would entice you into a contract," he said as he wiped tears from his eyes. "Sorry, I'm not laughing at you at all."

"You know Madeleine well?

"Oh yes, quite well, although more from the past. We stay in contact when I am in town. About next weekend then, why don't you meet me here Friday evening? I'll have you back to her by Sunday morning."

"What I said doesn't bother you?"

"Nope. Does it bother you it doesn't?"

"I... No, I guess not."

"Good then, dinner at 6 pm next Friday."

"How do you know you can get the same suite?"

"Oh, don't worry about that. I always get this suite when I am in town."

I walked around the house on Thursday, looking at all the memories of my past life that were quickly becoming almost like they belonged to a different person.

After leaving the hotel, I stopped at Mandy's apartment to pick up my stuff and let her know I was OK. She had laughed when I had told her of the night with Eden.

"Well, it's about time you got fucked good and proper," she had teased, "But be careful, Abby. These people are not always what they seem," she said in a more serious tone.

Eden had texted me on Monday, saying again that he had enjoyed our evening and was looking forward to the weekend.

"Was there anything you didn't like Sunday night?" he had asked by text.

"No, I loved it all."

"Good. Next time, I won't hold back," had been his reply, following it with a wink emoji, which had sent a shiver through me, unsure if it was excitement or fear.