11: Feels Like Hope

Sounds like blazing fire assaulted my ears. I was laying on by back, my eyes darting around wildly. The war rig was in ruins, its mighty body ripped to curled strips of metal. Flashes of faces danced across my vision. Most were white, adorning black smudges. They were all angry. My limbs felt like they were being attacked by thousands of snakes. I couldn't scream. The air was building in my chest like an explosive, and I was sure I was going to pop. The desert around me was nothing but fire and blood.

Then, something clean slipped into my line of sight. It was Capable. Her scar-free face was smeared with dirt and ash, only cleaned by tear streaks. She put her hands on my shoulders, sending pain so hot and intense through me that whiteness rained down behind my eyes.

"All dead!" She sobbed, "Everything is de-"

A scarlet hole burst through her forehead. Her life splattered across my cheeks in red droplets. Then her brown eyes rolled to the back of her head, and her body fell back against the sand limply.

Standing behind her was Immortan Joe, his revolver raised and pointed to the spot where Capable once was. I still couldn't scream. I was helpless, immobile. My sea green eyes were fixated on Immortan. Please let me die. Please let me die.

Then, without warning, Immortan tore his mask away. Behind it was a face I knew all too well. Nux.

Nux's head looked so unnatural atop Immortan's body. His aqua eyes glowed with insanity, and his lips were pulled back in a sneer, baring rotted teeth. It wasn't really him, I knew that. But It wasn't like anything I have seen before. His many metals and chains jingled as he crept towards me. I would have given anything to be able to run away, or to have feeling in my arms. He got down on his knees beside me, the stank of his body choking me. His gnarled hand reached down and caressed my face with gentleness that made death sound even sweeter. He leaned down and put his scarred lips close to my ear,

"I am everywhere."

The waking world crashed down on me suddenly and heavily. Colors pushed through my eyelids and pounded against my brain like fists of an angry war boy. The feeling in my legs was reduced to nothing but numbness and tingling. The rest of my body ached with stiffness. I groaned, dragging my eyes open. My protective clay was almost completely gone, and now my pale and sensitive skin was turning an angry scarlet at the shoulders. My bones creaked and crackled like rusted metal as I straightened up. Another nightmare.

I looked down to see Nux sleeping with his head on my thighs. At first the sight of him made me recoil, but I shook it off. This Nux was nothing like the man in my nightmares. This boy had a look of peacefulness etched into his features. I reached out with a hand and hovered it over his face, checking to see if he still was running a fever. No extra heat was coming off of him, good. I tucked the memory of the dream away in a deep corner of my brain as best as I could. I had no time to ponder.

"NUX! FERAL!" Furiosa's voice shouted. The sound rippled across the empty land like water.

I gave a small sigh. Then I grabbed Nux's shoulder and shook him awake roughly.

He sat upright so quickly it startled me. His eyes darted around with confusion for a few seconds, then he relaxed.

"Time to go," I told him, hauling myself over the side of the tower. He nodded once, following me as I flew down the rungs of the tower. I landed on the ground with a puff of sand and dust. I could see that Furiosa and the wives were loading up the motorbikes with bags and packages, "What are you guys doin'?" I asked, approaching them.

"We are leaving the war rig, taking the bikes and heading that way-" Furiosa pointed down past the sand dunes, where the land dipped down into a barren valley, "going to find somewhere to take refuge."