4: The First Drive

"They're all out on a raid, no one's here but the pups and sick!"

Nux was standing in front of me with his face contorted in a childish pout, his arms folded across his chest.

It has been five years since I first arrived at the Citadel. By then I knew a car inside and out, and had helped quite a bit at building and repairing Immortan's fleet. I was a natural with the machines, almost as if I could speak to them. I was able to figure out what was wrong with a vehicle and fix it much faster than most of the young war boys. I was one of the best, and yet was still given zero recognition. The adult soldiers practically refused to acknowledge the fact that I was even there. While the other boys got to go out and practice with the cars I most likely fixed, I spent my days working. It was all incredibly unfair, I knew I would be able to drive just as well as the boys! Alas, I was kept inside the stifling bowels of this cave, only because I was female.

I chewed my lip, my soft scars protesting slightly. I was afraid of getting caught, I didn't want to push my luck too much. Nor did I want to be killed here in the Citadel for doing something stupid, before I was able to escape. Although, I needed the practice, I wouldn't be able to get out of here with out being able to drive properly. A sigh blew past my lips, "Fine, let's go."

Nux whooped with excitement, jumping up and down a few time, "You're gonna love it! It's the best feelin' in the whole world." he snagged a hold of my wrist and dragged me through the tunnels. I stumbled, tripping over spare wheels and piles of bolts as he tugged me towards the exit. My heart fluttered with anticipation, I was going to go outside, for the first time in five years. I had seen the light of day, but only through the sun roofs that sat atop the caves. I was never allowed to go outside. It was almost like I was an embarrassment to them. My blood roared in my ears, and my heart skipped away in my chest like a caged bird. I was going outside. The war boys hardly ever were needed to go out on missions, only when we needed more guzzaline, more bloodbags, or, in the rarest case, more wives. They haven't gone on a raid for girls since I was brought here. I was grateful for that, I didnt think I could handle watching more girls go through what I had. It was the first time they were all gone in years.

I was thrown back into reality when blinding light flooded my vision. I squeaked with shock, clapping my hands over my eyes to shield them. This wasn't like the shafts of orange light that illuminated the dark caves, this was everywhere, making everything that it touched gleam. I uncovered my eyes, but still used my hands to shade them, "Is it always this bright?"

Nux laughed softly, "Always hot, always sunny!"

I groaned, one more thing to deal with.

"Comon' the car's over here!" Nux said, waving me over in the direction of a car I vaguely recognized.

It was a modge-podge of several different cars, like everyone else's. I didn't even bother examining it, I just clumsily clambered into the drivers seat, still half blinded by the light.

Nux slid into the passenger's side, where a tattered and obviously unused seat stood.

Before he could say anything, I turned the key, which was already in the ignition, and put it in drive. With a cry of excitement, I pushed down on the gas pedal. The car sprang to life, the engine growling and rumbling within it. The tires threw up sand for a few seconds before taking off. The windows were removed, letting the air rush past my cheeks just as I had imagined. I veered around boulders and vacant cars, my laughter swallowed up by the roar of the engine. With most of Immortan's fleet gone. There was a huge amount of free space for me to use. I hadn't ever actually drove a car before, but I knew exactly what to do and when to do it. My reckless driving didn't seem to faze Nux, probably because the war boys practically had reckless driving injected into their bloodstreams.