"Do we think it's the mind flayers?" Shadowheart asks, breaking the silence. "Are they coming to collect us?"

"No," Halsin replies, "This felt personal. The arrow was a message for him." He says nodding in my direction.

This brings everyone's attention to me and I swallow.

"You know who took her." Wyll says, more an accusation than a question.

"I have an idea." I say, my words nearly stuck in my throat. "We encountered a monster hunter yesterday. I never said I was a saint, especially under Cazador's control so it isn't odd for one to be hunting me. It is, however, for one to be so far from Baldur's Gate."

"You believe your old master is looking for you." Karlach says.

"That's my guess. We," I pause and correct myself, "I killed the monster hunter, but who's to say there wasn't another. Cazador isn't a man to relinquish any control, especially with whatever infernal pact or ritual he has carved into my back."

"And she's the bait." Wyll sighs flinging his last stick into the fire.

I breathe out, "At least we know she will be kept alive. Her death would be worthless if I'm not there to witness it."

The reoccurring nightmare looms in my thoughts, watching Cazador turn her, drain her or commanding me to be the one to kill her slowly so I can feel the life slipping from her. No, he wouldn't let that happen. Her blood was so precious to me, that would be too much of a gift in his eyes even if it resulted in her death. He would make it so she suffered. He would draw it out until I begged, until she regretted every moment we have shared. Until all I can see is an eternity of abuse and servitude as a reprieve from the pain he is inflicting upon the one I love.

Halsin begins to pace, "You mention a ritual."

I roll my eyes, "Yes, Cazador carved part of something into my back. Nymeria was able to read a portion of it, but it doesn't make any sense. I'm not his only spawn so I assume that the rest is with my brothers and sisters."

"Before my time there was a necromancer in these woods, he is buried not too far from here." Halsin explains, "He did not only seek the control of the dead, but to transcend death himself and become a lich so he and his magic can remain forever."

Karlach laughed, "Yeah, we saw him. He failed. The guy is as dead as they get, well, aside from those skeleton guys that didn't seem very dead at all. You get my meaning."

"He did fail, yes, but in his pursuits it is said that he amassed quite the library of spells and rituals. Perhaps one of his books might have the answers you seek." Halsin says as he stops.

"We didn't see any books in his crypt." I say looking back to Karlach who shakes her head.

"There is another place." Halsin says folding his arms against his chest, "The necromancer's home was leveled when they built the now abandoned village, but the dungeons below may still remain intact if we can find a way in."

"That's a quarter day's journey south and further away from rescuing Nymeria." Wyll says leaning back, "Not to mention it could still be under goblin control."

"There's no need for us to all delay our journey." Gale says, "Wyll you can go on with Lae'zel and Shadowheart. Perhaps you will find a way to catch up with whoever took Nymeria. I will stay with Astarion, Karlach and Halsin to help search for this book. Magical tomes are, after all, my specialty."

"Great." I mutter under my breath.

I barely recognize the village as we approach it. Where most of the buildings were barely falling into disrepair, they now all but burned to the ground. Some of the larger buildings collapsed in on themselves, parts of their frames still smoking and shimmering with embers, while the smaller ones are nothing more than ash upon stone with blackened beams like gnarled fingers reaching up into the heavens.