Chapter 2-the dream

Start from the beginning

Thomas and I walk through the tables until we reach one where Newt, Minho and another boy are sitting.
They smile at us "Goodmorning you two." Newt says "Greenie meet Jeff." he mentions to the boy sitting next to him. Jeff smiles at me. I smile back at him "Guys, I remembered my name. I'm Ruby." I tell them. While I sit down they congratulate me. Thomas sits down next to me, our legs touching.

Fry really can cook. I ate the whole breakfast. Probably also, because I ate nothing yesterday. As we finish, Newt and Thomas take me with them as we go over to the fields, where the trackhoes work. Newt explains to me what I have to do, I also meet Zart the keeper of the trackhoes.

While working I sometimes catch Thomas glancing at me. Maybe he's still worried about the morning. I decide to talk to him "Thomas?". "Ruby." he overpronaunces my name, smiling to himself. I probably should stop always saying his name, before asking him something.

"Can I tell you about my dream?" I ask him. His smile fades "Yes of course, I would like to know why you were so scared, when you woke up.". I nodd

"Well, I had this nightmare: I was running away from something. I think it were people, trying to kill me. They were screaming at me, telling me that I had to die. I was running through long dark corridors, until suddenly I started falling down." I take a breath "I couldn't see anything, but I somehow knew something terrible was going to happen. I just wouldn't stop falling...Then I woke up."

I look at him, waiting for him to say anything. He begins talking "The first night after my arrival, I had a nightmare too. I think it was about people standing around me in a circle, they were screaming at me as well. I couldn't see their faces, but I knew they were in pain and it was my fault." he breaths out "When I woke up the next morning I thought I had done something awful in my past. It was killing me that I couldn't remember.".

I don't know Thomas for long, but I know he's a good person. Somehow I know he doesn't think that way. I try to cheer him up "Thomas, our mind creates absurd things in our dreams. It doesn't have to mean anything. And I know you wouldn't do anything that would hurt other people.". He stares at me, thinking about what I said. He then smiles at me softly "Thank you.". I look down to the ground, trying to prevent myself from grinning at him like an idiot.

Thomas and I both work until Newt tells us to grab our lunch. As much as I like Newt, I'd rather not be a trackhoe. It's to much bending down and it's boring.

As we all go back to the kitchen, I start to wonder what exactly runners do "Hey Thomas?" "Yeah?" "What's behind the walls? In the maze I mean. Why isn't anyone allowed to go in there, besides the runners?" Thomas face darkenes "You know, there is a reason the walls close every night. At night nobody's safe out there. The greivers come out then."  Greivers? They don't sound kind. "What is a greiver?" I ask Thomas.

He looks at me seriously "They are like spiders but as big as a car. They hunt you until you're dead. That's why only runners are allowed to go in there. If we don't make it back before the doors close, we are trapped in there with them." By the look on his face I can tell that this ends deadly.

But if the walls close before the greivers come out, how come Thomas knows what they look like? I ask him about it "Then how do you know, what greivers look like?" Thomas looks down to the ground, then back at me "A few days after I came up in the box, Minho was injured in the maze. He didn't make it out in time, so I ran in before the doors closed. We are the first to ever survive a night in the maze." Oh. He ran after Minho, someone he only knew for a few days, knowing he would probably die. And he survived.

"That's very brave, Thomas." I tell him, holding eye kontact. He has a small smile on his lips "Brave enough for them to make me a runner.". Well I know which job I'm not going to choose.