Chapter 10

Things most certainly didn't add up.

My father was being threatened.

Someone was supposedly paid to kill my entire family, but only my mother died.

Uncle Asim and Dad knew or had rough ideas about who this person was. And yet, no one seemed to be willing to indulge any information! Saif, my husband, had heroically decided to keep me in the dark so he could "protect" me.

Or maybe he wanted to just keep me away because I wasn't that much of a help.

Saif pushed a button and sighed, "I've listened to this for the fiftieth time now. I can not understand is this man or why he wanted to get Ayra's family killed. He seems to be very dangerous."

I didn't say anything.

I couldn't say anything.

Who in the world would want to hurt my beautiful mother? Even though I hadn't spent much time with her, she was a beautiful and wonderful woman. Why would someone kill her so mercilessly?

Saif turned around, "Taimoor-"

He paused when he saw me staring at the laptop in shock.

"Ayra? When did you get home?"

"Did someone- why -" I tried to speak, but tears were blocking my vision, and it I couldn't help but sputter as I spoke. "Is this true? Was my mother - really -"

"Ayra, relax. Breathe," Saif hurried over, looking worried. He was a little hesitant but gently placed his warm hands on my shoulders.

"But why?" I muttered feebly. "Why is there someone who hates my family so much? Why are they trying to kill my Dad, too? Haven't I lost enough?!"

I was on the verge of a breakdown now.

"Ayra, listen to me. I'll find him. I'll find whoever it is and punish them, okay? You have to compose yourself. This is the last thing your father wants to happen!"

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. He was right. Going into shock was not an option right now.

Saif's phone rang, and since it was connected to his bluetooth device, it turned on the speaker.

"A silver Civic. It's a silver 2009 Civic. Junaid uses that nowadays."

I frowned. Silver Civic.

"I think I saw one somewhere," I trailed off. My eyes widened. "Dad!"

Saif looked at me.

"I was at Dad's before I came back and- and I saw a Silver-"

My own phone rang, interrupting me.

It was Jamil Chacha.

"Beti(daughter), there is this young man here who says he wants to meet your father, but I said what you told me to say," he told me.

I blinked and looked at my husband, who had gotten off his phone and was waiting for me to finish talking.

"O- okay. Thank you, Chacha," I said. "Wait! Can you tell me what car he drove there?"

"It's a Civic."

"What colour?" I was beginning to feel slightly nauseous.

"Silver."

I took a sharp intake of breath and looked at Saif, who immediately picked up on what was happening and dialled Taimoor, urgently telling him to go to my house.

"Thank you, Chacha," I told him before hanging up. I couldn't warn him about anything because I was afraid the person was either someone Junaid knew or Junaid himself and could hurt Chacha if he thought he knew something.