Dishes

Reader pov

"Close the door behind you, please." Captain Amelia says. "I understand that there was... a brawl with you in the middle, yes?" She states it very directly.

"Um... yes. I don't think I handled it very well either. Sorry captain. I'll do better in the future." I respond without looking at her. But after a long silence, i do look at her. She looks concerned.

"Y/n, he shook you in a way you haven't been shaken. What specifically happened?" She asked.

"He said he knew my parents. They disapeared 9 years ago. Haven't heard from them since." I hang my head. I shove my hand in my pocket and grasp the compass. It calms me slightly.

"I see. You know, we are not defined by our pasts, but our futures. And you, y/n y/l/n, have a very bright one." She smiles but I don't. How can I have a bright future when all I know is how to clean a table?

"People say that you have to be a male aristocrat to make something of yourself or you have to come from absolutely nothing and rise against the odds. Now, though you have hardship your somewhere in the middle. So people don't recognise you. Because men are who they'll recognise." I look up and she has a set, stern look on her face.

"You must be prepared to go through life with being shaken and being over looked. Because the higher ups do not what a sucessful women. How would that ster other women?"

I'm a littke taken aback at her response. Are these men not her superiors? Shouldn't she be more respectful? Then again, whos going to tell?

"You see, when I started climbing ranks in the millitary, i was treated with disrespect by my comrads." A look of disgust crosses her face. "All because this universe was 'built' by men. Please. They never could've gotten to where they are without the help of women." She finishes.

"What do you mean? No disrespect. But, couldn't they have?" I inquire. Wasn't it their discoveries?

"None taken. But see, its just this. They don't teach you these things in school." She walks over to the bookshelf and pulls out a book, about 2 inches thick. It has a blue, well worn cover with gold letterung saying 'The Truth Behind Space Discovery'.

"My father gave me this book one day when i declared to my year 5 class that I was going to be the captain of one of the greatest ships ever. They laughed and I went hone crying that day. But my father believed me." She has a sad smile on her face and I don't know if I should ask.

"Mind if I ask what happened to him?" I ask. She thinks for moment.

"Yes I believe I do." She doesn't say it rudly, just matter of fact. And that was that.

"It's your now. I think you'll learn a lot about turning your hardships into a driving force for success." 

I take the volume and feel the weight in my hands. It has a pleasant old book smell and I can't wait to crack it open.

"How about you come back and we can chat some more over tea?" She asks, almost hopefully. She is not ordering me, but asking. 

"I'd love that!" I say enthusiastically. She seems like a wonderful person and captain. I like her already.

"Now you better get going. That Jim will be wondering where you are. Say, i won't find you two in a closet anywhere, alone, will I?" She rauses an eyebrow.

"What!? No! Of course not! We're just friends! I swear!" My cheeks are hot and i am starting to feel a little uncomfy.

"I see... well best you be off. I will see you at 4 sharp tomorrow." She says. I stand to leave.