Chapter twenty five

Start from the beginning

They made it to the end. A clearing opened up before them. In the middle of that clearing was a lake with blood-red water. A weak stream flowed into it. It originated in a huge, old tree at the edge of the clearing. That tree was bleeding and its blood formed that lake. Poppies grew all around.

Ciaran walked towards the lake and began to take off his clothes.

"Are you coming?" he asked Amaya.

"Did you forget I can't swim?" Amaya told him. "This isn't exactly the best surprise."

Ciaran returned to her. He took her hands. He slowly pulled her to the lake.

"Do you trust me?" he asked her.

"No," Amaya replied with a smile.

"Then you'll have no choice but to trust me now," said Ciaran.

Amaya let him guide her. They took off their clothes. Entered the bloody water together. Ciaran held her the whole time. Amaya held onto him tightly. They entered deeper water. They lost solid ground under their feet.

"Let the water hold you," Ciaran told her. "No panic at all."

"I'm not panicking, I'm just trying not to drown," Amaya said as she dug her nails into his shoulders. "Just because I can't die doesn't mean I enjoy dying."

"With me, you'll never have to die again," said Ciaran.

"I'm afraid you can't stop it. Death always takes what she wants." Amaya said.

"But now you have me and I won't let you die," said Ciaran.

Amaya slowly moved her legs. She mimicked Ciaran's movements. She was still holding onto him and he was holding her. However, he let her go. Amaya didn't even realize it at first until she noticed that she was swimming all by herself. Ciaran was far from her. Amaya started to panic. She swam awkwardly to him. Water splashed everywhere. The water droplets created a rainbow in the air. Ciaran caught her. Laughed.

"I told you not to panic," he told her.

"You let me go," Amaya scolded him.

"You swam alone," Ciaran remarked.

"That didn't give you the right to just let me go without warning," Amaya said.

"Okay," said Ciaran. "I'm letting you go." and he let her go.

"No." Amaya protested, holding onto him tightly. "Don't let me go," she begged him. "Never again."

"I'll never let you go," Ciaran said, pulling her into his arms again.

A foul smell wafted from somewhere. The air was filled with the rumble of heavy footsteps and the cracking of fallen branches. Amaya and Ciaran looked around to see where it was coming from. They were alert. A terrifying figure stepped out from among the trees. He was a goat from the waist down. His massive hooves trampled the redheads of poppy flowers. Twisted horns grew out of the disheveled hair on his head. He fixed his wild eyes on them.

"Miss Amaya, a girl born from Death," he spoke in a throaty voice. "Blessed by the gods themselves."

"Who sent you faun?" Amaya asked him with venom on her tongue.

"No one, my lady," replied the faun. "My path happened to lead around."

"Don't lie, faun," Amaya snapped. "You fauns always have ulterior motives."

"All dark creatures have a malevolence in their nature and you are no exception, my lady," the faun replied. "And this forest is full of them. Your presence here was instantly recognizable."