Chapter seventeen: Went up in flames

~Y/n's pov~

~Y/n's pov~

I don't know if I sat in the mud with rain soaking my clothes for minutes or hours.
I feel too numb to cry, unable to process how many friends I had lost in one single day.
I haven't had the strength to lift my head yet, afraid of what I will see when I scan across the glade.
Scared of how many bodies I will find scattered across the ground.
I smell smoke and I remember seeing flames eat up the gardens and buildings we worked so hard to build like they were nothing.
I can't face the damage of what just happened.
I feel my back aching from being hunched over like this for so long.
Suddenly I feel a pair of warm hands lay down on my shoulders.
I suck in my bottom lip and bite down to keep in the tears that have been wanting to fall for too long.
The hands carefully make me straighten myself up before I finally open my eyes and find myself looking straight into Newt's.
I had always turned to him to feel safe, to feel okay.
But when I look into his eyes now I see how broken he is.
My heart clenches and I feel so stupid for not realising sooner that this time, he needed me.
I had lost Ben, one of my best friends, many gladers and the glade that had been my home for a few weeks now.
But Newt... Newt had lost his brothers, his family and the glade, that had been his home for over three years.
How could I be so selfish?

"Newt... I'm sorry." I whisper even though I know that there is nothing I can say right now to make all this go away.
He just shakes his head while a single tear drops down his cheek.
The only time I had seen him cry before was when he had his nightmare where he lost me to the grievers.
I caress his cheek ever so gently, wiping away his tear but it soon gets replaced by a raindrop that falls down from his drenched hair.
His golden, blonde locks look more like brown from being wet, but he looks as handsome as ever.
I pull him into my chest and wrap my arms around his neck, holding him close.
"I'm scared." He whispers.
His words break my heart and I have to try so hard to not break down.
He needs me now, I need to be strong for him.
"I'm right here, the grievers are gone." I whisper in return.
"Y/n... Alby is dead. I am first in command now." He says in a hushed tone as he raises his head to now look at me again.
"Everyone is going to look to me for answers. I don't have any. I don't know what to do Y/n I-" He rambles with fear written all over his face.
I stop him by crashing my lips onto his.
I immediately feel his entire body relax as he melts into me.
I pull back and look into his eyes again.
"We can do this. Together." I say breathlessly.
"Love, I'm so sorry about everything. I should have never left you like that." He admits.
"Don't worry about any of that. I forgive you."
I try to fake a small smile but I'm not sure how well I managed to pull it off.
"I just got jealous." Newt adds, dropping his gaze to his lap.
"You have nothing to be jealous of Newtie. It's always been you."
"I love you." He whispers, not looking up at me.
My breath catches in my throat at his words.
"I don't care if it's too soon and I don't care what the others will say. I love you Y/n. I lost so many people today, and I almost lost you. I need you to know how I feel about you."
I breathe out, feeling a sense of relief washing over me.