Chapter thirteen : Forbidden kiss

We are all sat around the bonfire

I'm sitting with the cooks while we're all taking a sip from our cups that are filled with Gally's special drink, celebrating my new job.
"Hey Fry, have you seen the new crates?" I ask, my voice suddenly sounding more serious than it did before.
"No, Alby just brought me our new supplies. I'm just happy that we got some extra pots." Frypan says excitedly and I smile, trying to hide my worry.
They're trying to hide what it said on the crates from the gladers.
"I'm gonna go say hi to the others." I say simply before the cooks and I exchange smiles and I get up to make my way to the other group of boys.
"Hey love!" Newt exclaims when he watches me sit down next to him.
"Hey greenie!" Minho adds.
"Hi guys." I smile.
"Newt, can I talk to you for a moment?" I ask the boy. He nods and we start getting up out of our spots on the floor.
"You just got here! Why do you never spend time with us?" Minho whines playfully.
"We'll be right back, then I'm all yours." I say dramatically but Minho takes it as a victory.
"What's wrong love?" Newt asks with an uncertain expression as we walk further away from the others.
"You saw what was on the boxes..." I start.
Newt sighs in defeat and hangs his head.
"Newt, if these are the last supplies what are we going to do? We can't survive without the stuff from the box, you told me that." I continue hurriedly.
I feel myself grow more and more anxious after seeing his reaction.
"Why are you and Alby trying to keep this quiet?" I ask, tears glistening in my eyes.
"Because we don't want anyone to panic. We don't know what to do Y/n. We have no way out." He says, his voice breaking.
"What about the runners? Have they not found anything?" I ask with hope.
Newt doesn't answer but instead he grabs my arm and drags me along with him.
We walk into the building I remember as the map room before Newt flicks on a lamp.
My body freezes and my jaw drops slightly as I look at the big table in the middle of the room.
It's a miniature version of the glade and around it a map of the maze.
There are numbers written in different sections of the maze.
I walk around the table and take in the sight.
"This is it, all of it. There is no way out." Newt exhales and I feel as if all the air is being sucked out of my lungs.
"So... so what? That's it?" I ask while tears start rolling out of my eyes.
Newt sighs again as he wraps me in his arms.
"No..." He answers suddenly, making me look up at him.
"You can't tell anyone I told you this but Alby and I have a plan." Newt explains.

~Newt's pov~

Her eyes beam with hope and a small smile reappears on her beautiful face.
I wipe away her tears with my thumb before continuing.
"We have a way out but we're still working on it. Everything is going to be okay love." I say while I try to put on my best, fake smile.
Her lip trembles before she launches herself into my arms again.
She lets out a deep relieved breath before looking at me with a soft smile.
"Thank you Newt." She says before we walk back out and towards the others.
My heart breaks lying to her but I couldn't let her suffer like this.

"Guys! Come on, we're playing truth or dare." Minho yells at us as we take place in the circle of gladers again.
Y/n claps excitedly and it warms my heart seeing her happy.
"Thomas, truth or dare." Minho asks.
"Dare!"
"How many of these can you fit in your mouth?" Minho asks him smugly, handing him a bowl of corn kernels that we popped in a pot over the fire.
Thomas starts shoving popped corn into his mouth until he can no longer close it.
Y/n laughs hysterically at the sight which makes Thomas unable to hold in his laughter any longer, resulting in popped corn going everywhere.
"Ewww!" Y/n exclaims as she brushes soggy popped corn off her lap.
"My turn. Y/n, truth or dare?" Thomas asks, looking at her.
"Dare." She replies excitedly.
"I dare you to sing us a song."
Everyone cheers her on, excited to hear her sing.
I feel myself grow excited to hear her voice, for a moment forgetting the bleak situation we're in.