Chapter three : Goodnight love

It is dark everywhere in the glade except for the light of the bonfire but when we get to the sleeping quarters Newt turns on a few lanterns, illuminating the place.
"This is where I sleep. I'll just hang your hammock in between mine and Thomas for now." Newt explains as he does exactly that.
I look at his hands as he ties multiple knots to hang the hammock onto one of the poles.
"Over there are the blankets and pillows, you can go grab one for yourself." He says as he nods towards a wooden box in a corner.
I walk over to it and carefully pick up a folded blanket and a pillow before returning to Newt.
By the time I make it back to him he is all done hanging the hammock and pushes down on it to test it's integrity.
"All done love." He smiles warmly.
"Newt... thank you for tonight." I say softly with a genuine smile on my face.
He just smiles back and doesn't say anything.
"Now how the hell do I get into this thing?" I laugh, looking at the hammock.
"You get used to it." Newt laughs.
"Here, let me help." He says and before I can say anything I feel him swoop me off my feet and carry me bridal style before putting me down into the hammock.
"There you go." He chuckles, making me laugh.
"Well, thank you." I say jokingly.
Newt crawls into his hammock that is right besides me.
Our hammocks hang closer together than any of the other ones since Newt just put mine in between Thomas and him.

I turn my head and look over at Newt, who is staring at the ceiling.
For the first time all day I am really taking in his features.
The way his face looks.
The way his chest rises and falls with his breathing.
I can't help but think of him as quite good looking.
But then again, Thomas and Minho don't look too bad either.
I don't know why Newt makes me feel this way.
Is it because he was the first boy I saw? Or because he was the first one to talk to me?
Because he has been the one protecting me.
Suddenly I think back to when I was dancing with Minho and Newt looked upset.
"You know... I would've danced with you instead if you would've just asked." I say with a half-smug, half-serious smile.
"I'll remember that for next time then." He says, now also turning his head to look at me.

By now I see all the other boys flood in and they each take their place in their hammocks.
Thomas comes to lay in the hammock on the other side of me.
"Oh, hey." He smiles innocently and I give him a polite nod.
I see Minho walk towards us as he starts waving at me.
I look back at Newt to see his reaction and I already see him rolling his eyes.
"Hey greenie. Just wanted to come say goodnight." Minho says with a playful smirk.
"Aww I'm flattered." I giggle.
"Hey, what can I say? I'm a gentleman." Minho says smugly before laughing at himself.
"Goodnight greenie." Minho says finally
"Night." I say simply before he starts walking away to his own hammock.
"Goodnight greenie." Thomas now also says to which I reply the exact same.
"Night."
I turn back around to face Newt again and see him staring at me.
"Goodnight love." He says with that accent and it makes my heart flutter.
"Goodnight Newt." I reply and immediately a smile crosses his face.
I turn on my back as the lights go off, leaving us in the dark.
The only light there is is the moonlight and the stars.
I try to force myself to go to sleep but with no success.
My thoughts are keeping me awake.
I worry about going to work tomorrow and not being with Newt.
I worry about Gally and the other boys.
I worry about this place, why were we put here?
Whoever did this to us wouldn't just put us here to let us live our lives in peace, there must be a catch.
I keep tossing and turning, trying to fall asleep but then I hear rustling.
I look over at Newt and find him climbing out of his hammock before he walks up to mine.
I look at him but he raises his finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet.
He then starts walking and gestures me to follow him which is exactly what I do.
We walk away from all the sleeping boys as Newt leads me towards the woods.
"I want to show you something." He says in a quiet voice now that we're far enough away from the other boys.