Chapter two : bonfire

I walk out into the field but stay close to the sleeping quarters for when Newt comes back.
I look back at the opening in the wall when I see a few boys running through it, back into the glade.
I scrunch my brows as I start walking closer to them.
I thought no one was allowed to leave?
One of the boys who just came running in notices me and starts coming towards me.
"Hey! You must be the new greenie. I'm Minho." He says slightly out of breath as he shakes my hand.
"Hi." I say simply while I smile at him.
He grins smugly and it makes me chuckle.
"Back off Minho. She just got here." Newt says as he appears behind me.
Newt puts a hand on my shoulder and I feel my stomach do a backflip at his touch.
"We were just talking." Minho defends as he smiles at me again.
"Go to the map room Minho." Newt says more sternly this time.
Minho throws up his hands in defence before he winks at me and walks away from us.
"I'm sorry, just don't mind him." Newt starts but then I interrupt him.
"I thought no one was allowed to leave? You said it was dangerous." I ask in a stern tone.
"Well, those guys are the runners. Minho is the keeper of the runners. Every morning when those doors open they run into the maze, mapping it, memorising it and they try to find a way out." Newt explains.
"Wait, when the doors open?" I ask confusedly as I look towards the opening in the wall.
Suddenly a gush of wind comes from the corridor and it blows into the glade. We are standing close enough for me to feel the wind slightly as it makes my hair dance.
Before Newt can explain further I hear a loud rumbling sound and then I see it.
The gap in the wall is sliding closed.
My jaw drops and I watch in surprise, not knowing how to feel about all of this.
"Trust me, it's a good thing that they close at night." Newt says and I decide not to ask any further questions for now to spare myself.

"I got you some clothes, I wasn't sure what you'd want so I brought you a few options."
He says while smiling as he holds up the pile of clothes in his hands.
I grab some from his hands and start looking through them before I settle on some beige shorts and a white cropped tank top.
"Thank you." I smile warmly.
"I'll take you to the showers." He says and soon enough I stand in front of the cubicle hesitantly.
"Would you mind keeping watch?" I say sheepishly, making him chuckle.
"Yeah, of course." He replies.
I hand him back the clothes I picked and he grabs me a towel.
I step inside and turn on the water.
I let out a deep breath as soon as the cold water touches my skin.
It's freezing but it feels so nice and it's calming down my raging headache.
When I'm done washing myself I put my hand out above the shower door, silently asking Newt to hand me the towel.
He does exactly that so I dry myself and then wrap the towel around my body.
I open the door just a smidge and look at Newt from between the crack.
"Can I have my clothes please?" I ask sheepishly.
I can see him looking up and down my body that's only covered with the towel before he clears his throat and snaps his eyes back to mine.
He hands me my clothes with an apologetic smile.
His hand touches mine slightly, making me blush.
I retract into the cubicle and quickly put on some clothes before stepping back out.
"You look great love." Newt says and once again I feel my cheeks grow red.

"The others are already gathering at the bonfire. Are you ready to go?" He asks.
I just nod and give him a shy smile.
I feel anxious about tonight since I don't know anyone here and I'm honestly not sure yet what to make of the situation.
Newt makes me feel safe but I don't know about the other boys.
I tell myself I'll just stick with him but my plan is ruined the second we arrive at the bonfire.
"Hey greenie! You look amazing." Minho yells at me as he runs up to us.
I smile politely at him but it didn't feel the same as when Newt said it so innocently.
Minho wraps his arm around my shoulder and starts walking me towards the group of boys that he was just talking to.
I quickly glance back at Newt who shoots me an apologetic smile.
I turn back and look around at the boys while Minho introduces me.
"Okay so these guys are Ben, Hank, Dan, Alfred, George and Stephen." He says as he points at all the boys individually.
"We are the runners. Most would say that's the most important job." Minho says smugly as he looks at all the boys for reassurance.
"Oh and this is Thomas. He was the greenie before you." Minho adds as he pulls a brown haired boy closer to us and slaps him on the shoulder.
Thomas looks at me and his jaw drops slightly before he clears his throat and regains his composure.
"Uh... Hi." He says with a shy smile.
"Hi." I say simply as I shoot him a polite smile.
"Okay guys, that's enough. Do you want to get a drink love?" Newt speaks up from behind me and I turn to face him.
He was standing closer to me than I expected so when I turn around I'm barely a foot away from him.
He towers over me as I see him look down at me.
"Come on Newt. Let us have her for a bit longer." I hear Minho say, breaking the tension between us.
"You can't have her Minho. She's a person, not an object. She can make her own decisions." Newt defends me.
He has now taken a step away from me and stands next to me instead.
"So what's it gonna be love?" He asks me softly without breaking eye contact.
"I'd... I'd have a drink..." I stammer, feeling embarrassment rise in my chest.
Newt chuckles as he looks at Minho's disappointed look.
"We'll see you later Minho." He says before he puts his hand on my lower back and he pushes me in front of him towards a table where I see some cups filled with liquid.