Chapter eight : resourceful

"What's going on?" Alby asks in a serious tone.
"I'd like to know the same thing." Newt says as he furrows his brow at us, standing next to Alby as they both look at us expectantly.
"Y/n is a very good med-jack and we'd be lucky to have her. She's smart and a nice person but..." Clint explains before smiling amusedly in my direction.
"We have had seven patients already today and it's barely past lunch." Clint adds.
"Shuck! What happened?" Alby says worriedly as he starts frantically looking around.
"That's the thing, nothing happened. They all came in with small wounds. I'm pretty sure they're doing it to themselves to come to us." Clint explains further.
"Yeah I talked to one of the builders and he admitted to hitting his own hand with a hammer to be able to come see me." I add embarrassedly.
"What? Those slint-heads!" Newt yells and he looks angry.
Unlike Alby who looks just as amused as Clint by the whole ordeal.
"Okay I see. Well that's the first time the builders and slicers are that resourceful. Y/n I'm sorry but you'll have to take the rest of the day off and we'll have to find you a different job." Alby smiles at me and I nod understandingly.
"I'm sorry. I really wanted to help." I say apologetically to Clint but he waves dismissively.
"Don't worry about it. It's not your fault. I wish we could have you with us every day. You were really nice to talk to. I'll see you around greenie." Clint smiles before walking back to the homestead to go help Jeff with their overload of patients.
"I'll go make an announcement that you won't be working as a med-jack anymore so these clunk-heads can stop hurting themselves." Alby says as he jokingly rolls his eyes before walking off.
Newt and I look at each other, being the only ones left behind.
"I can't believe they would do something so shucking stupid." Newt says with a thick layer of jealousy in his voice, making me chuckle.
"As if you wouldn't do something crazy to be able to spend time with me." I say as I tilt my head and shoot him a mischievous smirk.
"I'd do anything for you love." He says as his gaze softens.
I grin at his words, not allowing myself to blush and as soon as he notices he clears his throat and scratches the back of his neck in embarrassment.
"I'll take the rest of the afternoon off. I wanna show you something." Newt speaks up.

We walk over to the wall that surrounds us but when we get closer I can see writing on it.
We stop right next to it and I run my hand across the concrete, feeling the scratches in the surface.
"Names?" I ask as I look back at Newt.
"These are all the names of every person living in the glade." He says with a soft smile.
I look up and down the wall, reading every single name cautiously.
Ben, Alby, Tim, Minho, Dave, Mike, Jeff, Chuck, Thomas, Winston,... The list goes on.
I smile and feel my heart do a backflip when I read Newt's name.
But then I notice some names that I don't recognise who are scratched out.
Without thinking I ask
"What are these scratched out names?" Without looking back at Newt.
I hear him sigh and when I glance over my shoulder I see how his face is now somber.
"Remember when I told you things weren't always good in the glade? A lot of people died y/n..." Newt says with heaviness in his words.
My heart drops and I feel sadness surround me as I look at all of the crossed out names.
There are so many.
"But we're here now and we're together. We need go focus on the future." Newt says with a careful smile, looking right at me.
He reaches into his pocket before he pulls out a small knife and carefully hands it to me.
"Now it's your turn to add your name." He says, making my heartbeat quicken.
I smile hopefully and take the knife out of his hand before I turn to the wall, inspecting it once more.
I find a relatively empty spot that should fit my name nicely next to Newt and start scratching the point of the knife on the surface.
'Y/n' it's not a work of art but it's a symbol that this is my home now, and these people are my family.
I turn back to Newt and see him proudly staring at me.
I walk closer to him and hug him tightly, wrapping my arms around his neck while being careful to not cut him with the knife I'm still holding.
It doesn't even take him a second to also wrap his arms around my lower back, pulling me close.
I feel him nuzzle his face into my neck and take a deep breath in, as if he can't breathe when I'm not near.
We stand there for a moment, neither of us wanting to let go, so we don't.
I chuckle at our behaviour and feel Newt do the same.
I feel the vibrations from his chest being pressed against mine as he laughs softly.
I pull my head back to look at him without fully letting go of the boy.
He holds onto me with one arm while the other comes to hold my face.
He brushes his thumb across my cheek softly as we gaze into each others eyes with wide smiles on both of our faces.
Suddenly Newt's smile drops as I see his eyes flicker between my eyes and my lips.
I part my lips slightly while my smile now disappears too.
I feel like my heart will jump out of my chest as Newt looks at me with lust in his deep, brown eyes.