13.2: ANOTHER UNWELCOME COMPANION (part 2)

Dragging Winkton to the other end of the room, Fang gave him a shake.

"What are you doing?" he hissed. "We can't have him with us."

"I don't know what there is to object to," Winkton blustered back. "You heard him say he could sense vampires—we shall find Harriet all the quicker with his aid. And besides, he is such a fine man. Just how I should wish my son to be, if I had one."

"Night's shades, man!" Fang snapped. "He can't sense vampires any more than I can sense flowers—or you a lie when you hear it."

"How dare you suggest that he is lying," Winkton whispered. "Such a splendid fellow. What evidence do you have?"

"For one thing, he hasn't caught on that I happen to be a vampire."

This momentarily defeated Winkton. "Well... I, er... He probably just... He's probably waiting for his chance to stake you while you sleep."

"Excellent. Another reason why we should invite him to hop into our coach."

"My coach, may I remind you. And I shall have in it whomever I like."

Fang sighed. "And when we find your daughter and my nephew? How will you explain that we do not wish the vampire exterminated on the spot?"

Winkton looked uncomfortable. "I will explain the circumstances more... fully later."

"You had better," Fang growled. "I do not want my nephew taken out by this 'Scourge' just as we find him. I want him safe, do you understand? Because if not, your side of the bargain is broken. Doubly so, as you have broken it already by meddling with Rupert in the first place. And I will carry out my threat. I will stop looking for her."

Winkton's face twisted into an expression of pain. "I will explain that the vampire is not to be harmed."

"Good."

They turned back to Gustav, who was leaning nonchalantly against the wall. "Well, your Lordships, have you made a decision?"

"We have," Winkton announced. "We should greatly appreciate your help."

"Why, what excellent news, gentlemen." A flash of bright white teeth. "I assure you that you will not regret your decision."

"We have reason to believe," put in Fang, "that Miss Winkton is somewhere in Barthane town at this very moment, but so far our search has proved fruitless."

"Ah, but then you didn't have me with you," Gustav declared, straightening up. "Lord Winkton, do you have anything about you belonging to your daughter? Any possession should do. I need something to focus my attention whilst I hone my senses onto the particular vampire who has taken her."

"Why, I, er..." Winkton did a quick search of his pockets, of which he had many. Finally, he unearthed a sole hairpiece. It was shaped like a butterfly. "I kept telling her not to leave them on the floor," Winkton said in a tender voice Fang was sure was exaggerated.

"They never do learn," Gustav commiserated. He took the hairpiece from Winkton and, ridiculously, slid it into his own dark locks (shoulder-length, fashionably curled at the nape of the neck). Then he shut his eyes and assumed a look of intense concentration, his neatly groomed eyebrows drawing together as he 'honed his senses'.

After almost a full minute, during which Fang grew steadily more irritated, Gustav's eyes sprang open and he let out a gasp. "Could it be...?" he breathed. "Surely not..."