Chapter 6: Little Trash [Xiǎo Pò Làn]

Start from the beginning

Whether you're hungry or too full, it's not good for your stomach.

When Chu Xia was clearing away the dishes, she had Cen Huai'an help her clean his own bowl and chopsticks.

Perhaps it was because Chu Xia had fed him well all day that Cen Huai'an didn't resist Chu Xia's words anymore. He followed her and clumsily washed his bowl and chopsticks.

After eating, the water in the aluminum pot on the coal stove was ready, and Chu Xia placed the kettle on the ground and used the pot she had used to cook porridge to start brewing the medicine.

It is not difficult to concoct the medicine. It just required boiling it first and then simmering it over low heat. The key was to pay attention to the ratio of water to medicinal ingredients and the timing.

While brewing the medicine, Chu Xia prepared a basin of warm water, called Cen Huai'an out from the inner room, and asked him to take a bath.

"Can you wash yourself?"

Cen Huai'an didn't say anything; his body was very stiff.

It seemed like he couldn't bathe himself, so Chu Xia directly helped him undress. After all, he was only five years old, so there was no need to be so concerned.

Although Cen Huai'an was young, he already understood the difference between boys and girls. Chu Xia undressed him in three strokes. He covered his lower body, lowered his head, and his ears turned red, as if they were bleeding. He sounded both embarrassed and angry. "I can wash myself!"

Chu Xia immediately let go of him, clapped her hands, and stood up, smiling and saying, "Okay, you can bathe yourself; just make sure to wash thoroughly, and then you can wear your new clothes."

Cen Huai'an actually doesn't know how to take a bath; the original owner had never paid much attention to such things. Nowadays, there are not many adults who care about whether the children are clean or not. It's very common for children and adults not to wash once a winter.

In the summer, they would just rinse with water, and Cen Huai'an did the same.

As soon as Chu Xia noticed that Cen Huai'an was about to come out of the basin after dipping in the water, she stopped him. "You called that a bath? Look at the dirt on your body. Just one touch, and it's all over. Don't move; I'll help you wash."

He wanted to resist, his little eyebrows furrowing tightly. Although it hurt a little when she rubbed it with a towel that's a little rough, he didn't move.

In his limited memory, his mother had never bathed him like this.

Although it hurt a little, he could bear it. He was the best at tolerating pain.

Chu Xia took a towel from the shelf over the washbasin. This towel was the roughest one; the fabric had turned transparent from washing. It was just right for scrubbing.

It took two basin of water and all the water in the kettle before Chu Xia finally cleaned Cen Huai'an. His skin was quite fair, and when he put on the new clothes she had bought for him, he looked clean and lively, except for being a little too skinny.

This was all her doing, and Chu Xia felt a sense of accomplishment. Even though washing him had left her out of breath with a sore and aching back, it was worth it.

Chu Xia went to check the medicine on the stove; it was almost ready. When she saw that Cen Huai'an wanted to run outside, she stopped him and asked him to take the medicine before going out to play.

There was no clock in the house, so she didn't know the time, but she could hear the adults downstairs chatting and the children playing. She estimated that it was around seven o'clock now.