Putting Things In Motion

Wei Ying POV

It feels as if someone has sucker punched him in the stomach. Wei Ying's last breath of air is lodged deep in his lungs as he begins to shake. The cold hand of dread creeps its way up his spine until it wraps its icy fingers around his throat. His instinct to protect those he loves has him backing up with unsteady steps.

"I have to go." he whispers.

But no one hears him. They're all too busy talking amongst themselves. They have all heard the stories from him and Lan Zhan about his time in Nightless city and his fights in the arena. They've heard, but they do not know.

"I have to leave." Wei Ying whispers again, this time with tears gathering in his silver eyes.

Lan Zhan turns towards him when his dancer's hand tugs on his own.

"Wei Ying?"

Images of his family dismembered, tortured, bloody, and dead flash through Wei Ying's mind like exploding flares of doom. He shakes his head faster and harder the more Lan Zhan tries to pull him close.

"No. I have to go." he says. "You don't understand."

His mother approaches him with a soft smile. "A-Ying, we'll face him together, sweetie. He's only one man. Against all of us." she explains, her eyes drifting back and forth over everyone present.

Wei Ying looks at all the faces looking at him.

Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren. His brother-in-law and new uncle. Wei Ying knows the world they live in and it's one that will never understand the evil that lies within the mind of Xue Yang.

His mother and father. They would sacrifice their lives to keep him safe. Wei Ying doesn't know what he would do if either one of them died because of him.

His grandmother. She is an immortal. But it doesn't mean she can't be killed. If Xue Yang were to behead her....

Lan Zhan. His beautiful, perfect, and loyal Lan Zhan. Xue Yang will use their love against each other, torture one to make the other suffer. And Wei Ying won't allow himself to be the reason the love of his life dies at the hands of a psychopath.

He feels hands on his arms and shoulders trying to guide him back. He hears their words of encouragement and hope. Yet his mind is being pulled into a whirlpool of futures not yet thought of. There are so many. However, there is one that is undeniable.

Wei Ying yanks himself free and takes three full steps backwards. His face is twisted with pain and terror. His eyes flash between silver and red.

"You don't understand! It's not just Xue Yang who's coming! If Qingheng-jun has a shred of intelligence, he'll go to Nightless City. The Wens are the most powerful clan. He'll ask for their help to destroy Yiling and everyone in it to get his son back."

He turns to Lan Zhan. "Wen Ruohan is going to know I'm still alive! He's going to come for me! You're all in danger!"

"A-Ying," his father says calmly. "It's alright. We've known this day is coming. We're prepared for it."

"No! It's too soon!" Wei Ying shouts. He backs up some more. "We're not ready! Wasn't it just a few moments ago that you were all trying to convince the Lans they weren't prepared for what's to come? Huh?! And now you're trying to tell me that everything's going to be fine?!!"

"My boy, we are not afraid to face our enemy." Lan Qiren says firmly. "Our clan is well-trained. Our people strong. We will follow your lead and heed your advice. But we will not allow you to run away because you think that will stop this Xue Yang from coming here."