Chapter 2. Confrontation.

Clifton Stuart played by Harry Raftus.

Clifton's POV.

"What the fuck!" I exclaimed as I opened the door to my dormitory and was confronted by all the furniture piled up in the centre of the room creating a divide between my bed and Alexander's. It was a most gigantic barrier between us and it shook me that he had done it so quickly and without any warning as to why.

Alexander struck up on his guitar and began to sing the chorus from a Rolling Stones number.

This was stupid and so childish. I had only been here a couple of hours and it seemed like I had already made an enemy of my roommate. What on earth had I done to annoy him to such a degree that he would act in this way? I sat on my bed and stared at the monstrosity that faced me.

I heard the door slam as he stormed out of the room without even looking at me.

Oh! Great! I thought to myself. Now, as he's being petulant, I can't even ask what his problem is. I was sure that I hadn't met him before and I certainly didn't recognise his surname. I told myself that there was no way he could know why I had transferred here.

Mr Cunningham, my new Headmaster, was a small Scottish man with thinning hair and a ruddy complexion. When he spoke to Mum and me, shortly after we arrived at about 2pm, he was really nice and friendly, giving me such a warm welcome. He had been excited by the rugby achievements that were listed on my résumé and the prospects that they held for the school. He was most anxious to introduce me to the rugby coach, Mr Dickinson, that he had sent Finlay to bring me back to do so.

I didn't quite care for Coach Dickinson. After the Headmaster had left us he asked me why I was transferring, despite the fact that he had been told, in front of me, that I was transferring for personal reasons after a family bereavement. He was unsympathetic and cruelly told me, straight to my face, that he thought that I had transferred because I was too scared to face my old teammates after letting them down in a couple of key games towards the end of the season, costing them valuable points.

He wouldn't accept that I had missed those games through injury and said that he hated quitters. I could tell he was looking for a reaction to that from me and I think I must have disappointed him as I kept a poker face and totally ignored his cutting remark.

There was no way I would ever tell him the true reason.

He went on to make it perfectly clear that he was only interested in my sporting capabilities and insisted that I gave rugby preference over any other activity or lessons.

He boastfully told me that his style of teaching rugby was uncompromisingly strict, and designed to achieve results at any cost.

I could almost see him sneer at me when he said that rugby was a tough sport that made men out of boys and anyone not man enough soon either toughened up or quit.

He gave me the impression that everyone at this school was expected to be involved with rugby, either playing or actively supporting the various teams, and anyone not complying usually didn't stay long at St Augustine's.

I had desperately wanted to start afresh here but his pep talk, and Alexander's reaction to me, had me questioning whether or not I would be able to.

Alexander puzzled me. Why had Trevor called him Alice? Calling him a faggot, and saying he would try to bone me, inferred that Alexander was gay. Was he though? He didn't look gay and I wondered if he was being bullied by the rugby guys because of his colour? Maybe he didn't play rugby? Could that be the reason why he's already on the defensive as I will be part of the rugby team?