twenty eight . the fire

Start from the beginning

We never owned cameras.

I open my eyes, waking up and staring at the ceiling. It felt like I knew of every single bump and dot on the ceiling, I could feel every bone in my body just lying still. Was my dream a warning? I sit up and stretch before looking around, my mirror was still destroyed. I lean over and grab my laptop off my nightstand, pulling it off its charger. I open it and sign in, I lift my head as it logs me in, I realize Teddy wasn't in the room, I wonder if she slept in the living room.

I look back down at my laptop, slowly dragging the mouse over to the camera app. I take in a deep breath, my dream truly worrying me. I smelt the faint smell of burning, but I didn't question it, maybe I'd go over and ask Lou if he burnt something while cooking. I open the app and check the recording, going to the beginning of the week. I tiredly watch through, seeing nothing but me going inside and out, sometimes with Teddy to go on a walk. I go to the week before that, again seeing nothing but me, and Lou leaving his flat once or twice, he hasn't been leaving as much as he used to. I deleted the footage that had nothing because I didn't want it to take up space on my laptop. I go to the next week, seeing only Friday and Saturday available, I had already deleted the footage I guess.

I watch throughout Friday, speeding through it since I didn't expect to see anything, maybe I should set this up next to the window. I freeze for a moment, seeing a man in an aheago hoodie, I tense as I watch him avoid showing his face to the camera. Just as he's trying to open my door Lou walks out of his flat and looks at him. The camera didn't pick up audio, but Lou made conversation with the man, which made him lift his head and reveal who he was.

Why didn't I realize sooner? This had to have been obvious.

I quickly shut my laptop, grabbing my phone and putting it in my pocket before getting out of bed and leaving my room, I walk out into the living room and see Teddy sleeping, the smell of burning was now much stronger, and I felt an increase of temperature, it was much hotter in here.

I shake it off and leave my flat, going over to Lou's door. I knock and wait for him to open it, (which took an oddly long time for someone like him). Once the door opens, I come face to face with Lou, he looked so much more tired than when I last saw him. "Hey-- are you okay?" I worryingly ask.

"Yes, yes.. ah, I've found those building blocks that are very fun, they have a booklet to show you how to build the things. I looked it up and it's called Lego, I remember seeing them in the store when I was a younger man but could not afford them. Now I can! I'm so sad that I had forgotten about them but now I can build everything!" He rambles to me, a smile growing on his face the longer he spoke. "I built uh, The Statue of Liberty!"

"That's nice, I'm glad you're okay, but do you remember seeing a man in an anime hoodie? Like about three weeks ago?" I question, Lou thinks and stares at the ceiling.

"Uh, I'm not sure.." He mumbles. "I believe so?" He crosses his arms and leans onto his door. "Yes! He said he was your friend and showed me proof so I told him about the broken window, I think he already knew though.." He tells me, finally remembering. "And have you also smelt the gross smell?" He brings up the burning smell.

"Yeah, I woke up a few minutes ago and smelt it immediately" I explain. "Maybe some place burnt down nearby.." I shrug. "But anyways, have fun building with Legos, I need to go call the police." I back away towards my door, waving goodbye Lou. He smiles and waves back.

I turn my head to my door, Lou does the same, we both see the smoke coming up from the crack below my door. I look back at Lou. "So your place was the thing that smelt bad?" Lou leans forward and looks more intently at the smoke.

"Lou, I think the place is on fire--? but.. I didn't cook or anything..? What could've even started it?" I open the front door, smoke pours out from the room, I step back and wave it out of my face, Lou leaves his room and stands by my side.