CHAPTER TEN: starcourt.

"What is that?" Erica asked as Jonathan revealed El's leg

"What is that?" Erica asked as Jonathan revealed El's leg. "There's something in there." Lexi told him. "Keep her talking. Keep her awake, okay?" Jonathan told Mike and Lexi, before he ran away.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake. Let's get her on this side, on this side." Mike said and Lexi helped him. "Easy, easy, easy, easy." Steve said. "It's, uh... You know, it's not actually that bad. There was a... The goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee, six inches or something, it was insane."

"Robin." Steve called out. "Yeah?" She turned to him. "You're not helping." He shook his head. "I'm sorry." Then, Jonathan came running back with a knife, a spoon and some gloves in his hands. "Okay. All right, El? This is gonna hurt like hell, okay?"

"Okay." She nodded. "Need you to stay real still. Here, you're gonna want to bite down on this, okay?" He gave a wooden spoon to Mike, who put it in El's mouth. "Jesus Christ."

"Holy shit. Holy shit."

"Do it." He nodded. "Okay." He sliced her leg open and some looked away. "Oh, shit." He put the hand with a glove in her leg and tried to catch whatever was in her leg. El kept screaming and screaming and Lexi's eyes watered at the sight of her sister's state. "Jonathan!" Nancy shouted. "Stop talking! Goddamn it!"

"No! Stop it! Stop! Stop! I can do it. I can do it." She then lifted hersef from Mike's and Lexi's laps and used her powers on that creature. She screamed so load, that the glass behind them broke and Lexi covered El's head.

The brunette then threw the creature away and they watched a boot step on it. Lexi looked up and when she was met with her father's eyes, she was immediately relieved. 

"The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her and pave a way into our world." The group began explaining. "And it almost did. That was just one tiny piece of it."

"How big is this thing?" Hopper asked. "It's big. Thirty feet, at least." Jonathan shrugged. "Yeah. It sorta destroyed your cabin. Sorry." Lucas said. "Okay, so, just to be clear, this... this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic... weapon?"

"Yes." Nancy confirmed. "But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon... with melted people." He furrowed his brows. "Yes, exactly." She confirmed again. "Yeah, okay. I... Yeah, I'm just making sure."

"Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" Hopper asked them. "El beat the shit out of it, but, yeah, it's still alive." Max nodded. "But if we close the gate again..." Lexi started. "We cut the brain off from the body. And kill it. Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo! Yoo-hoo! Okay, this is what Alexei called the hub. Now, the hub takes us to the vault room." The bald man began explaining. "Okay, where's the gate?" Hopper asked him. "Right here. I don't know the scale on this, but I think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe 50 feet or so."

"More like 500." Erica told him. "What, you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie Disneyland or something?" She continued. "I'm sorry, who are you?" The bald man asked her. "Erica Sinclair. Who are you?"

"Murray... Bauman." He hesitated. "Listen, Mr. Bunman, I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but I've been down in that shithole for 24 hours. And with all due respect, you do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die."

"I'm sorry, why is this four-year-old speaking to me?" He looked around. "Um, I'm ten, you bald bastard!" Lexi's eyes went wide. "Erica!" Lucas scolded her. "Just the facts!" She put her arms up in defence. "She's right. You're all gonna die, but you don't have to. Excuse me. Sorry, may I?" He asked Murray. "Please."

"Okay, see this room here? This is a storage facility. There's a hatch in here that feeds into their underground ventilation system. That will lead you to the base of the weapon. It's a bit of a maze down there, but between me and Erica, we can show you the way."

"You can show us the way?" Hopper raised his brows. "Don't worry, you can do all the fighting and the dangerous hero shit, and we'll just be your... navigators." Dustin shrugged. "No. Nope." Hopper shook his head. "Well, that settles it. He's gonna die. They're gonna die."

"Yep, most likely." Erica agreed with him. "You guys survived." Lucas said. "Barely. We could've really used you guys down there." Dustin admitted. "Could've used you up here, too."

"Yeah, man. We missed you, dude."

"Yeah. Big-time."

"I missed you guys, too."

"Big-time." The boys made a group hug and Lexi thought it was kinda cute."Please don't cry, nerds." Erica sassed. "Erica." Lucas scolded her again. "Keep saying my name, see what happens."

"Hey, heads up. You can navigate, just from someplace safe." Hopper walked over to them. "It's not that simple. The signal won't reach. Not with this. You need something with a high enough frequency band to relay with the Russians' radio tower. But for that to work, you need someone who has both seen their comms room and has access to a super-powered handcrafted radio tower, one preferably already situated at the highest point in Hawkins. Oh, wait. That's me. If you want us to navigate, you got us. But we need a head start. And a car."

And the plan was made. One group will go with Dustin. The adults will go into the Russian base and the kids will go hide to Murray's house.

After Hopper talked to El, he walked over to Lexi and decided to talk to her again. "I see you already solved your problem with the redhead." Lexi smiled. "Yeah, well, I'm trying to give her one more chance."

"That's good, kid. And if she screws it once again? Leave her." Lexi nodded. "Of course." She hugged her dad. "Please be careful." he whispered. "I will, but you have to promise me, to not do anything stupid. El told me, that this has to do something with what happened in '84. But when this is all over, we'll make some pancakes, okay?"

"Okay." She giggled. "Hey. We should probably go." Mike said as he and Max helped El walk. Lexi nodded and hugged her dad once again. "Mike? Be careful."

"El, you're bleeding." Lexi noticed when they got to Nancy's car. "Are you okay?" Mike asked her. "Yeah." They placed her down in the car. "Here. Lay down." 

Lexi got in the seat next to Max's and Nancy tried to start the car, but failed. "What's wrong?" Jonathan asked and Lexi furrowed her brows. "I don't... I don't know. You can't be serious. Come on!" She hit the steering wheel. "Didn't your mom just buy this car?" Lucas asked her. "Yes. I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?"

"No."

"Do we have gas?"

"Yes!"

"Come on!" She shouted. "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just stop, stop! Pop the hood." Jonathan walked out of the car. 

"Back in the mall! Back in the mall!" Nancy banged on the window after a moment of silence, when they saw Billy's car revving.

"Go! Go, go, go!"

"Be careful!"

"Go! Go! Go, go, go!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, I repeat, do you copy? We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation. Scoops Troop, do you copy? Billy has found us. He has disabled our car
and we are trapped in the mall. Repeat: Billy has disabled our car and we are trapped in the mall." Mike kept pacing and Lexi was getting sick of it, so she walked over to her maybe a girlfriend, 

"You're gonna kill him, aren't you?" She asked Nancy, when she saw her loading up a gun. "This is just a precaution, okay?" Nancy told her. "And not just against Billy. If he knows we're here, so does the Mind Flayer."

"No chance that thing'll drive, right?" Nancy pointed at the car, that El previously threw at the Russians. "We don't need it to drive. We just need the ignition cable."

They all, except El and Will got on the counter behind the car and tried to push it down. "Push! Shit!" Mike yelled, but they failed. "Let me try." El walked up to them. "El..."

"I can do it." They moved out of the way and El tried to use her powers on it, but failed. 

Mike had his great idea, that contained them to take a pole and push it with that.  So, that's what they were doing now. "Push! All right, great. All right, now, all the way. Ready? Three, two, one... Push!"

"Told you. Physics." They jumped off the counter and Nancy ran to the car. "How do we get it open?" She asked Jonathan. "Uh, there should be a latch. Check under the wheel. You see it?" He asked her. "I don't know, hold on."

"What's she doing?" Max asked, but Lexi kept watching Nancy and Jonatan. "Do you see it?" He asked again. "I don't know."

"It should be right here." Jonathan said. "Got it." Lexi walked toward Max, until she heard Mike. "Nancy!" He ran and Max took Lexi's hand and pulled her away.