Chapter 5

"Ravenclaw, Silverpaw, Lionlight, Thrushwing and Tigertooth, will be going to the gathering accompanied by the medicine cats!" Flarestar jumped down from the slate, nearly knocking Silverpaw over and into the assembled cats. Silverpaw walked to her mother and said,"Next time don't try to make me fall over." Flarestar lowered her ears. "I'm sorry Silverpaw but we really have to go," Flarestar said. Mumbling something in reply, Silverpaw fell in behind her mother. Moving fast they came to the gathering area, which Silverpaw realized would be her first. She didn't notice at first the tiny part of her willing for Badgerpaw to be there. As they entered, she found herself looking for the tom and her heart skipped a beat, for some reason, when she found him. She sat down as the leaders jumped on the sand, unaware of Badgerpaw edging closer. "Cats of the Clans, we're here to welcome you to the Greenleaf Gathering." Hawkstar bared his teeth. "Mossstar it's the middle of Leaf-fall!" Mossstar ignored him. "BogClan has a new litter of kits, that's all." Hawkstar grumbled,"Well, NightClan has a new deputy, Ripclaw where are you?" Silverpaw flinched at Ripclaw's name, he was the cat who'd killed Wingpaw's mother, Silverpaw had a burning hatred for Ripclaw ever since that day. "TreeClan has a new apprentice Badgerpaw." Badgerpaw's face went as red as an apple and he edged away from Silverpaw. "VolcanoClan also has a new apprentice, Silverpaw." It was Silverpaw's turn to turn red. Foreststar stepped forward. "We will now have a moment to catch up with friends." Silverpaw searched for Badgerpaw and she bumped into him. "Badgerpaw! I've missed you," the words slipped out before she could think. Badgerpaw looked around for cats. "I've missed you too," he admitted,"can we go somewhere more private?" Silverpaw wondered why he said it but nodded anyway. She followed him into a bush not far from the gathering place. "Ok,this is going to be difficult and you might not like it," Badgerpaw said,"but I've been trying but I can't seem to get you out of mind." Silverpaw narrowed her eyes but she couldn't stop the blush from creeping up her cheeks. "No! No! No! This can't be happening! I can't love you, I just can't!" And with that she sped from the bush tears shining in her eyes and into the camp. After a while Flarestar came in shooing Sagepaw. "Silverpaw what's wrong?" She asked. "No,no,no,no I can't love him I can't," Silverpaw murmured and her mother's ears pricked. "Can't love who?" Silverpaw sniffled,"Bad-bad-ba-Badgerpaw." Flarestar's eyes widened. "Don't worry mummy's here."