Part 60: Nightmare

Start from the beginning

For a long moment, he stares at her as his hand glides over her cheek, her shoulder, her waist, and her thigh.

"Yeah..." he whispers and nods. "I know you'll make it!"

He kisses her forehead softly before suddenly getting up and walking over to the kitchen counter. She follows and watches him, confused. Kyun takes one of the peaches from the bowl, looks at it, and turns it before putting it back down.

"Babygirl, I won't give up on you!" he whispers. "I will find a way to be with you, and I won't stop until I take my last breath!"

Surprised, she tilts her head. Then she shakes it hastily.

"Don't!" she says and walks up to him. "Please, Kyun, don't do anything they could hurt you for! I will make it! And once I do, I will look for you, I promise!"

The demon's crimson eyes wander over her face and he pulls her into his embrace. Again his lips brush over her temple, her cheek. Then he lays his hand under her chin, lifts her head, and kisses her lips. It's a deep kiss, intense and passionate and Anya holds tight to him, enjoying the way his saliva prickles when her tongue meets his. She'll miss this feeling...

But there's a moment within the kiss when she feels something happening to her. It feels like a wave of sunlight creeping through her body, shooting into her arteries and coloring her pitch-black blood back to crimson. Suddenly, Anya feels alive, and yet so dead.

For eleven long years, there was this darkness inside of her. This darkness that surrounded her like a cold, damp cloud. A darkness she was so used to that she barely noticed it anymore, but feels very clear now that it's gone.

Abruptly, she breaks the kiss and looks at Kyun in complete and utter shock.

"What did you do?" she gasps and Kyun gulps heavily.

"Something I should've done a year ago, babygirl." He smiles and caresses her cheeks. "I've set you free..."

She feels like somebody ripped away the ground underneath her feet. There's this crushing weight on her chest. Her blood feels like it's a raging river coursing through the veins of her body, her head pounds like someone is jackhammering it and every breath burns like hell.

"No—"

Her protests stop as two men in fancy suits appear on each side of Kyun. She flinches back when she notices their most prominent feature—their crimson eyes.

"We need you to come with us, sir!" one of them says. They each grab one of Kyun's arms and shoulders while the demon, her demon, looks at her with a soft gaze.

"I'll come with you without protest!" Kyun says, his eyes still fixed on her wide ones. "But I need one minute!"

From the corner of her eyes she can see the other demons exchanging gazes. One of them nods and they let go of Kyun. Still smiling, he walks up to her and cups her cheeks. She looks up to him but can barely see his beautiful face through her tears.

"What did you do?"

"Hush, babygirl!" Carefully, he dries her cheeks and kisses her lips firmly. "When I'm gone, a portal will appear. It's Magnus'. I need you to enter the portal and go to his apartment, okay?"

There are so many thoughts in her head. These two demons and the way they appeared mean danger, absolute danger. But the way Kyun smiles at her, the way he talks to her, so calm, so gentle, sends a completely different message.

"Kyun, I don't understand, I—"

"Don't cry! Everything will be alright. I promise!" he interrupts her and kisses her another time. "I love you so much, babygirl, and right now I need you to show me how strong you said you were gonna be, okay?"

With a dry mouth she stares at him. "Will they hurt you?"

"Get to Magnus once the portal opens! And listen to what he tells you, okay? Promise me!"

Anya doesn't know what to think, doesn't know what's going on, but at the sight of the pleading in his eyes, she nods firmly. "I promise!"

"Good girl!"

Smiling, he kisses her with such intensity that she almost collapses in his arms. It's only when his body disappears from hers that she opens her eyes. Observing her carefully, he walks a few steps back until the other demons grab him by the shoulders again. She just can't stop crying, the confusion and fear rushing through her body and mind like his venom used to. She has a bad feeling about this...

Kyun tilts his head and smiles at her. "I love you, babygirl. Don't waste your time!"

With these words, all three of them disappear. In the sudden silence that fills the apartment, Anya tries with all her might to control her breathing, to stop her tears, but it's like they've developed an independent existence she has no power over. But before she can completely lose herself in whatever the fuck just happened a cloud spiraling into existence in her kitchen snaps her back to reality. Magnus' portal.

It grows bigger and bigger and she walks up to it. Kyun told her it will lead her to the warlock. But it terrifies her. She's never gone through a portal alone. Uncertain, she lets her hand glide into the portal, the purple liquid pouring over her fingers like water.

Her thoughts are running circles in her head. Kyun wouldn't have told her to use the portal if it was dangerous for her. And she promised him...
Before her anxiety can take over control, she jumps headlong into it.

Getting catapulted through this portal is different from jumping with Kyun. Every time Anya and the demon traveled like this, it was almost like his presence sheltered and protected her from an impact the human body is not made for. Without him it's like her body gets shredded into million pieces only for the pieces to recombine and rip apart again. Her stomach turns, sickness floats through her.

Only seconds after she enters the portal, she slides on her knees over solid ground and stops herself with her hands, gasping for air and trying to suppress the urge to throw up. Before she can fully understand what just happened, someone grabs her shoulders and pulls her to her feet. It's Alec.

"Are you alright?" he asks and eyes her carefully. Still dizzy from the night's events and traveling through the portal, she needs a moment.

"Kyun..." she gasps when she collects her thoughts and fists her hands into the demon hunter's shirt. "Kyun... they took him! Alec, where's Magnus? He has to help him, he has to—"

"He's not coming back..." Magnus' voice, weak and fragile, echoes somewhere from across the room over to her.

Her head snaps to the side and she finds the warlock sitting on the couch. The features she's so used to seeing soft, calm, and happy now scream desperation. Again the air disappears from her lungs.

"What?" Slowly she walks up to him.

"He's not coming back, sweetie!" Magnus repeats and stares into the whiskey in his hand. "He sacrificed himself for you..."