Ch.23 - Baptism By Fire

Start from the beginning

He surged forward and thunderclapped at the T-Rex, sending it tumbling back towards the adjacent end of the cave. The T-Rex's impact shook the cave's core, combined with the tremors of Y/N's thunderclap.

"Why the heck did I do that?"

As the comatose T-Rex laid on the ground, fragments of cave stone in the ceiling above began to come loose.

"Beast B-"

The eyes of the T-Rex flew open like the doors of a cuckoo clock. It swiftly morphed into a Quetzalcoatlus, the largest flying creature in history, and caught Y/N with its feet.

Y/N was smacked around into the cave walls like a Sony logo around an idle screen.

"Two can play at that game, big bird. Watch your head."

Y/N unleashed a full-body beam of energy through the flying creature's nervous system, stunning it as it froze in mid-air with a terrifying screech.

This impact, however, did not endure long. The dinosaur pushed through the sensation and jolted its beak into Y/N's face, to which he was unphased.

"That tickles."

The Quetzalcoatlus, filled with rage, threw Y/N against a neighboring cave wall, where he collapsed into a heap on the ground below.

"You guys don't have a couch anywhere around here? What's with all the rocks?"

The dinosaur ignored his remark and charged toward Y/N with its beak wide open. However, just before they made contact, Y/N threw his hands forward and pried its beak open as the reptile battled forward.

Several screeches and struggles could be heard as the two opposing forces clashed.

"Beast Boy! Quit throwing a temper tantrum and listen? It's me! It's Y/N!"

The giant bird settled its senses, as its eyes opened wide.

"I'm not a threat, old friend" Y/N added.

The dinosaur morphed into a slender 5'10 human figure wearing substantial levels of body armor, along with a black and purple mask with pink streaks highlighting the eye line."Y/N?" The figure indistinctively muttered under the mask.

"Sorry buddy, it's kinda hard to hear you with the Power Rangers hat on."

The figure removed the helmet, revealing none other than the jolly green changeling himself. Given the apparent passage of time, he had aged very well for a 43-year-old man. All of those plant-based proteins and fatty acids sure do help to keep wrinkles at bay. His hairline, on the other hand, was evidently receding. 

Not too much, but enough to be noticeable in the cave's weak lighting.

"Wh- how? No. No. Stay away from me." He stammered, gradually backing away as Y/N approached.

"Beast Boy, hold your horses here. I'm just as confused as you are. You really have no idea what I've gone through these past 3 hours. Now, why don't we both take the time to-"

"...What you've gone through?" The changeling choked weakly.

"I can explain. I think we both have some explaining to do here."

"WHAT YOU'VE GONE THROUGH?!" His tone changed considerably.

Not too much, but enough to be noticeable in the cave's weak ligh-

"YOU'RE THE REASON I'VE SUFFERED BEYOND IMAGINATION THIS PAST GOD KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS, YOU BASTARD! YOU KILLED THE ONLY MENTOR I EVER HAD AND SINGLE-HANDEDLY TORE THE WHOLE TEAM APART WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE! RAVEN LEFT! STARFIRE LEFT! AND CYBORG AND I HAD TO EAT OFF THE FLOOR TO BARELY SURVIVE AFTER THE TITANS WERE CUT-OFF BY THE STUPID JUMP CITY COUNCIL SCUM!"