Lock and Key

"Good morning, class. Are we sitting comfortably?" the Doctor asked as he wrote 'Physics' on the white board. Celestia smiled at the students before going back to work on her attendance sheet that was on her laptop, she crossed referencing it with the student class schedules and information sheet.

"So, physics. Physics, eh? Physics. Physics. Physics! Physics. Physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics, physics." The Doctor repeated over and over again.

"I think they get it Charming; they're learning physics." she said, surprising some of the students by how light and airy her voice was. She smiled over the class, earning a few smiles back. 

The Doctor shoots her a grin. "Quite right, Mrs. Smith." he said, sending her a wink. Celestia blushed brightly at the titles and went back to tying on her laptop. She liked the how professor thing they had going on and Celestia was glad that they were able to fool the school into letting her be his aide.

"I hope one of you is getting all this down." he said to the class, motioning over to the board that only said 'physics' on it. "Okay let's see what you know. Two identical strips of nylon are charged with static electricity and hung from a string so they can swing freely. What would happen if they were brought near each other?" the Doctor asked the class, walking back and forth.

A young boy with spectacles puts his hand up right away. He was the only one that seemed even remotely interested in what the Doctor was saying.

"Yes, er, what's your name?" the Doctor asked the boy.

"Milo." He answered and Celestia immediately found his name in the class roster, he was one of the advanced kids in the school.

"Milo! Off you go." the Doctor encouraged him.

"They'd repel each other because they have the same charge." He answered without hesitation.

"Correctamundo! A word I have never used before and hopefully never will again." he said, earning a giggle from Celestia. 

The Doctor smiled at her before continuing. "Question two. I coil up a thin piece of microwire and place it in a glass of water. Then I turn on the electricity and measure to see if the water's temperature is affected. My question is this. How do I measure the electrical power going into the coil?" he asked. The Doctor and Celestia watched the class, waiting for someone to raise their hand but the only person who did was Milo.

"Someone else." the Doctor said, looking at the other children but they all ignored his eyes. "No? Okay, Milo, go for it." he said to him. 

"Measure the current and PDs in an ammeter and a voltmeter." Milo answered correctly.

"Two to Milo. Right then, Milo, tell me this. True or false. The greater the dampening of the system, the quicker it loses energy to its surroundings." the Doctor shot off, watching the boy.

"False." Milo immediately answered with no hesitation, scaring Celestia a bit.

The Doctor crossed his arms. "What is non-coding DNA?" he asked him. 

"DNA that doesn't code for a protein." he answered, Celestia noting how dull his eyes were. It was if they were empty, like all the life and vigor this child should have been stolen.

"Sixty five thousand nine hundred and eighty three times five?" the Doctor asked quickly. Celestia and the rest of the class looked at Milo, waiting to see if he could answer the question.

"Three hundred and twenty-nine thousand nine hundred and fifteen." Milo answered correctly right off the bat. The class and Celestia then looked back at the Doctor, waiting to see his next move.