"So how did they get your cat?" I took a large bite from my sweet potato and falafel sandwich. Super tasty, if you wanted to know. Alhamdulillah

Afifa's face scrunched up at the mention of her stolen cat, giving off the impression that the thought of her cat had not entered her mind at all. But I know better, and I know her, and I know she's been secretly plotting her revenge on those 'cat thieves' as she calls it.

"Well, it was quiet downstairs when I came to the kitchen to get my burger. And, when I realised someone had already eaten it...I may or may not have had a breakdown and was moping in there for about 15 minutes-" she said quickly as if to avoid embarrassment of her antics, "-and, when I finally returned to my room after, my cat was missing, and the boys had disappeared." She shrugged her shoulders in a distraught manner.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Although the cat, on-paper, belonged to everyone in her family, everyone knew Afifa was the one who had desired Layla and made the active effort to care for her. No one had put in as much effort as Afifa did in bringing up that cat. And with time comes a certain emotional attachment that you no doubt end up having, and the cat had slowly become her friend, her comfort, and a part of her family.

I asked tentatively, "did you ask your brother if he actually did take the cat?"

But, knowing Afifa, she's one to jump to conclusions without communicating with the parties involved. So, to me, Layla jumping out of an open window seemed a more plausible reason for her absence, than her brother plotting a grand cat heist with his gang.

She glared at me as if she's aware of my thoughts. "My cat's a home cat Zahra. Just the idea of the outside makes her curl into herself. She'd never willingly go outside herself."

I bit the inside of my cheek, "And your brother?"

"He was trying to act all smart with me. As if he doesn't know anything," She huffed "I know he's taken her, and he thinks just because my parents aren't home he can get away with it. But, he thought wrong." Her smile after saying that looked quite peculiar.

A thought crossed my mind at that very moment, which I voiced to Afifa, "Hey, I thought your cousins lived far away from here, and that's why they never visited. What's the occasion for them coming now?"

A long time ago, and I'm talking about ancient times, when me and Afifa were at the small age of 9, she told me her family tree. And how she felt having one big brother who quote 'makes her smell his smelly armpits' is the worst thing ever, and that she much prefers her cousins, who are all boys by the way, and who treat her well and love her. The sad part of the story is that these favourite cousins of hers moved away at around the same time we met, and because of the distance, they rarely get to see each other, except for special occasions like weddings or funerals.

And I, Zahra Hussain, still remember that fact from ancient times. Have a mental pat on the back, Zahra. You deserve it.

"Oh yeah. I remember when I told you that," A gentle smile curled on her lips, most probably reminiscing the good memories we've shared since we were kids, "actually, I forgot to tell you, but they've moved back."

My brows raised in shock.

"Only them and not their parents, so we're all living in one house together. Yep. Not only do I have the teenage company of my brother to look forward to, but now also my teenage cousins." She frowned, as if just realising she is the only female in a huge family of guys, "When them lot get together, I don't want to be around them. The things they do...this weekend is evidence enough of it."

I shudder. I'm so glad to have only sisters. Alhamdulillah.

"Sooo can you come to my house after school?" Her house?