Chapter 10: Despair

'It's a beautiful night.'

Shining stars twinkle in the swirling purple and blue night sky, the distant galaxies and planets forming a picturesque scene of exotic beauty and life. Off to the side, a large white moon bathes the world below in its radiance, illuminating a young boy resting on a tall tree branch.

Despite being late in the evening, it's anything but quiet as all sorts of insects and nocturnal animals come out to hunt and thrive.

Simply enjoying the warm night air as well as the gentle lapping of the waves on the distant shore, Sothis's melodic voice comes into his mind like a gentle summer breeze.

His chest feels as if it swells at her appearance, but it just as swiftly clenches in pain and frustration as he determines to not be involved with her. On the outside, however, his countenance seems as undisturbed as earlier as he gazes up into the color-shifting firmament.

The emerald-haired girl waits a few moments prior to speaking again, 'I do not know what troubles you so, Byleth, but know you need not bear it alone. I am always here by your side now and nothing will ever change that.'

The youth's eyes tremble at her impactful words, words that mean more to him than she could ever know. Despite that, he stays resolute and remains silent.

The mystical maiden says nothing further on the matter, perhaps sensing his complex mood. And so, the two share in the splendor of the radiant heavens above, gazing at the infinite cosmos laid before them while silently relishing in the presence of one another.

***

The next morning continues where the last had left off, cleanup. Moving around the remains of tall trees and homes, Byleth appears unperturbed by the constant whispers surrounding him, his stoic expression never shifting or faltering as he works.

Perhaps it's the pleasant weather or last night's declaration from the sleeping beauty resting in his subconscious, but there is a subtle spring to his step that was lacking only the day prior. It may very well be that another part of it is the fact that a certain duo hadn't found any time to harass him yesterday.

Whatever the case, with a much calmer mental state than he previously had, he goes about his duty. It's fairly simple work and provides a deserved shift from constant training and combat, virtually the only life he's known up until this point.

Squatting down, the abnormally capable youth grabs a broken wooden beam, careful to avoid potential splinters as he's learned from the last two days.

Pushing his feet into the ground as if to move the very planet itself he begins to lift it. Muscles all across his body straining at the work, the thick column slowly rises from the surrounding debris, eventually revealing itself as well over triple his height.

Making sure it's free from its confines, Byleth starts to drag the long mass of wood down from atop the rubble of a collapsed home, careful not to lose his footing amongst the ruined heap.

Starting out well, his pace steadily lessens as he lugs the beam toward the appropriate area. Pausing for a break, the looming weight digs into his shoulder where he's supporting it as his free hand comes up to wipe away the sweat on his brow.

Taking a deep breath, he readjusts the mass and prepares to continue his objective, but as he does so he suddenly feels the burden notably diminish.

Rapidly turning his head, he eyes the individual lifting the other end, a muscular Brigid man that flashes him a small smile. Byleth studies him closely for a moment before nodding and continuing the trip to the allotted scrap pile, much easier now with a helping hand.