Chapter 7: Sothis

Byleth tilts his head to the side ever so slightly as he watches the sleepy girl before him nuzzle herself against his hand like a cat.

'My love? What does that mean?'

Curious, he asks her the same thing aloud, however he gets no response as she continues nestling up to him. Contemplating the question, he instinctively and delicately caresses her, running his fingers through her soft hair.

The moment is cut short though as he reflexively pulls back when she reaches out a hand to grab him, causing her to purr in annoyance while he opens his mouth to speak, "Who are you?"

Hearing his question, it's her turn to tilt her head as she stares at him and blinks her eyes.

Slowly the fog begins to clear from her mind as her gaze becomes a bit sharper and she begins to lightly mutter under her breath. Then, a large yawn escapes her lips as she raises her arms up high in a stretch and sits upright on the throne.

Now more properly awake, she formally rests her gaze on the boy in front of her and appraises him, as if truly seeing him for the first time.

"Oh my. What could've brought you here?"

Her first reaction is surprise, not having expected to see anyone else in this place as her slim eyebrows scrunch up in confusion.

"Hmm... I have not seen the likes of you before. Who are you, anyway?"

The young lass gazes at him with captivating emerald orbs that glow like twinkling stars in the dim light.

'Wasn't she talking to me earlier? I guess she was still half-asleep, like when father talks to himself.'

Thinking back on the etiquette Zane taught him, he gives a light bow. "Pleasure to meet you, my lady. My name is Byleth Eisner. With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?"

The words flow from his lips in an unrushed cadence, a far cry from his usual behavior, however he finds himself not minding, even to say that stiff greeting.

A small approving smile forms on her lips as she rests her chin on her hand.

"Byleth is it? You're quite the little gentleman, aren't you?"

Her eyes then adopt a strange glimmer as she gazes into the tenebrous distance.

"This all feels so familiar... yet also different? Haah, this is rather vexing..."

The boy silently watches her as she stares into the horizon, fully content to wait. Eventually, she returns her attention to him with a sigh of resignation, "You wanted my name correct...? Hmm, I believe that it is... Sothis!"

Pleased with having remembered she sits up a little straighter as her gleaming white teeth flash in a breathtaking smile.

"Yes, that's right, you may call me Sothis. However, I am also called 'The Beginning'."

Learning her name, he can't help but feel that it sounds vaguely familiar for a fleeting moment but ignores it.

Gazing at her pretty face lost in thought he takes a minute to fully capture the sight of her, the person that has plagued his dreams for nearly his entire, admittedly brief, life.

Sothis appears to be a young girl somewhere around ten years old, her stature seeming slightly larger than his own.

The combination of her mesmerizing glowing emerald eyes that captivate him within their gaze as well as her lengthy flowing hair of the same color draping down her back to the waist is bewitching. Never has he seen someone with that mixture of colors but to him it's beautiful rather than strange.