The frown on dad's face gets bigger. "You don't know?"

"No. I'm going to find out when I get there."

"Okay." Dad steps up to me and plants a kiss on my forehead. "Um... if you ever feel like you can't face school today, just come home. You have my permission."

"Thanks dad. But I think I'll be okay. You did raise a soldier, after all." I grin cheekily at dad, earning a proud chuckle from him.

***

Urgh. The hospital reeks of despair, disease, and decay. Tentatively, I walk past the front desk, still reeling from the powerful stench of this whole place.

"Nylah!"

I whirl around. "Hi, Mrs McCall." I smile friendlily.

"Isaac's in room 14."

My mouth drops open. "I didn't even—"

"Oh, please." She chuckles. "I may be old, but I know exactly why you're here."

"You're not old, Mrs McCall," I reassure her, shaking my head with an amused smile. "Thanks for your help."

"Anytime," she says with a small smile.

"I can't believe I just got caught in 4k," I mumble under my breath as I walk away.

I lean on the doorframe of the room Isaac's in, looking at him fondly. His back is turned to me, so I can see his large frame rising and falling steadily. He doesn't seem like he's in a lot of pain.

"Morning, love," I utter. Immediately, Isaac sits up, gaping at me. It's been such a long time.

"Little bullet." His voice comes out barely above a whisper. "Were you watching me?! You creep!"

I laugh at the sudden change of mood. "Oh get over yourself, Lahey."

Smiling, he observes me for a second longer, his blue eyes fixed on my face. "Somehow, you've managed to get even prettier." I smile, flattered.

He whips the sheet back and shifts over to the edge of the bed, patting the space beside him. I shuffle next to him, our bodies pressed closely together so that neither of us fall off the edge.

"These are for you," I announce, passing him a small bouquet of flowers wrapped in brown paper. I rushed to the florist before I got here.

He smiles widely. "Thank you."

"Are you okay?" I ask, concerned.

"Yeah, thanks."

"Tell me what happened."

He sighs, putting his arm behind my head and pulling me closer into his side. He smells nice. "The alpha pack was hunting me down... and this random lady saved me on her motorbike, um... then the last thing I remember is that I fell off the motorbike and woke up in hospital a couple hours later."

"What the nuggets!?"

He chuckles. "Took the words right out of my mouth."

I look over to the door. I walk over, shut it, and look at Isaac with a cheeky smirk. He sits up immediately, his eyebrows raising in realisation. I hear his heart-rate increasing rapidly.