The dark

Age:4

Elizabeth

I laid in Evelyn's bed stroking her hair trying to make her fall asleep.

"Mama."

"Yes baby. "

"That light won't go out right? " she asked as she looked up at me with her big green eyes.

"Of course not why would it go out? "

"I don't know what if a monster turns it off? "

I chuckled. "Monsters are scared of the light they wouldn't even have the guts to get close to it. " I said as I pulled her onto my lap.

"But dada sometimes becomes a cookie Monster when the suns out. "

"That's because the cookie monster is a nice monster. Bad monsters are scared of your little firefly. "

She laid her head on my chest abd mumbled. "I'm scared of the dark mama. "

"I know. I'll never leave you alone in the dark I promise you that. "

"Mama! Can I bring this to!? " Evelyn asked as she ran to me with a picture in hand.

"Of course now come on. " I said and she sat down letting me put her sneakers on her.

She kept waving her legs around which wasn't helping. "Hunny stop for a second. " I said and she slowed down.

"Mama make sure to make ne fly high on the swing okay. " she said as we walked to the park.

"Of course baby. "

When we got there Evelyn pulled me towards the swings that were surprisingly empty.

She shoved the picture down her overalls pocked and sat down.

"Mama make me fly high like a birdie! " she said with a smile and I nodded.

I pushed her high as she said but not to high to the point of it being dangerous of course.

After she got bored I let go pf the swing and let it slow down.

"Be careful while you play okay, and make sure you don't go to far and especially don't go into the forest. "

"Okay mommy. "

"I'll be sitting right there where you can see me. " I said and pointed to a bench she nodded and ran of making me sigh.

I sat down on the bench and watched her play with the kids making me smile.

Suddenly my phone rang and I took it out and answered.

I looked into the crowd of kids once in awhile as I spoke.

Evelyn

I ran around trying not to get catched by the person who was it. When suddenly the picture of me and mommy flew out my pocket.

I ran after it as the wind made it roll into the forest. Mama told me not to go into the forest but...

I ran towards it ignoring mama's words and followed it into the forest.

I smiled when I finally caught it and brushed the dirt off. I looked up and realized I was deep into the forest.

I looked around in a panic and I suddenly heard a voice behind me making me flinch.

"Are you lost? " I turned around to see a man.

I nodded. "Where's your mom? "

"At the park, can you take me back to mama? She'll be worried. " I said as I looked around.