II

Y/N's POV. -

I was swallowing the food without looking up as at the moment my hunger suddenly increased.

"You didn't call your friends?"

I suddenly choked on my bite and cough hard hearing his words. He immediately placed his hand on my back rubbing it gently while handing me a glass of water.

I gulped down a good amount of water before taking a deep breath to stop my coughing. My eyes brimmed with tears due to the sudden choking.

"Are you okay?"

His words travelled down my ears and I diverted my gaze towards him who was looking at me with concern-filled gaze.

For an instant, my heart swelled with his acts and concern. But I composed myself before nodding my head.

"Yeah. Thanks."

I unwillingly shifted in my place causing him to withdraw his hand and clear his throat before getting back in his place.

I also sat straight, feeling it hard to take another bite. The silence followed until he again tried to break the ice.

"So..."

His voice trailed off, his eyes looking at me with some curiosity. I cleared my throat, thinking about a response as I didn't want to embarrass myself again.

"Friends? I don't..."

My words were left unfinished as I couldn't figure out what to say. I don't have friends. Just one who is also out of town.

"You don't have friends?"

He completed my sentence in a questioning manner and I knew that I again embarrassed myself. Which person on this earth doesn't have friends? How stupid I could be?

I shook my head lightly nodding to his question and saw his expression changing from confused to amazed.

"Oh."

That's all he said before resuming eating. I also gulp while taking small bites this time not to choke again. I felt immensely stupid right now after the small conversation. But I couldn't help it. It was the truth that I didn't have friends.

There's only one person who I call my friend. And presently she's out of town for her studies. Apart from her, I don't have any friends. It's not like I'm not a social person, but it's hard for me to trust people and get close to them. I prefer keeping my relations limited. My classmates took me as an introvert when in reality I like to explore a lot. But since I feel like people find me boring, I kept my interest to myself.

"I also don't have many friends."

He said catching my attention and I stared at him with big eyes. His words somehow made me feel less stressed and a smile appeared on my face.

"Didn't they come?"

I asked out of curiosity as I didn't remember him introducing me to any of them. He just made me greet all of his business partners and a few office colleagues.

"I didn't invite them. Purposely."

He said making me halt in my actions. Did he not want his friends to know about me? Is he embarrassed of me? A few thoughts immediately crowded my mind and I aimlessly looked at my plate.

"Oh."

I felt a shortage of words to reply and dig my head into my plate feeling a little hurt. But his next words made me feel better.

"Actually, they're too loud. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I'll introduce them to you once we're more comfortable with each other."

I couldn't help but nod at his response finding it genuine and thoughtful. He was correct. I don't know him well yet. Meeting his friends could be uncomfortable.