Chapter 27

"My mother and father made you do this? But why?" I wondered.

"Because..."

----------

"If she grows up like this..." Leonard murmured.

"She wouldn't learn what hard work is. Which is why, you want me to teach her failure and setback?" I asked them, confirming their request once more.

"Exactly, Gabriel. Please, do it for my daughter." Vanessa pleaded, concern present in her eyes.

"But... she's such a cute and sweet kid. It'd pain me to do anything that would hurt her feelings." I explained.

"I'm begging you, Gabriel. She's only eight years old, I still want her to live like a child." Leonard said.

"Sigh... you both really are.... nevermind, I'll do it." As I agreed to their words, both of their eyes brightened up.

----------

"...which is why I had done what I did." He elaborated everything that happened.

"So, my mother and father forced you to do this, huh...?"

"It's alright! I'm sorry for everything, really..." He apologized.

"Don't worry, great mage. It was my parents who put you up to this, it's not your fault." I'd really like to give them both a good scolding, in fact....

"A-anyway! I believe it's time I give you real lessons." He said, which immediately made me grin.

"Really, really?!" I pestered him, holding him by the collar and rocking him back and forth.

"Y-yes... really....."

"What are you waiting for then? Let's go!!" I exclaimed, now dragging my poor, dizzied mentor away.

*****

"Urgh... I'm still nauseous from your rocking, Miss Willow." He said, causing me a feeling of guilt.

"Ah, my apologies, great mage-"

"Call me your mentor. After all, you're my disciple, are you not?" He said, a genuine grin on his face.

"Of course, mentor! Call me... Willow, then!" I exclaimed while trying to hide my excitement. Though, it seemed that my voice and tone betrayed my intentions, as he chuckled in response to my rather energetic words.

It brought me happiness to finally have him teach me, no less acknowledge me as his disciple. It feels.... fulfulling, to say the least.

"Alright then, Willow. Although... I have a question." He stated rather seriously, and I gulped in concern.

"How many affinities do you have?" He asked. Ah.... I thought it would be a more worrying question.

"I...." I paused my words. I can't tell him I have six affinities, can I?

"I don't know." Saying that, he had a deadpan expression on his face.