Chapter 4 {UNEDITED}

While sweeping the floor, I realize I've been blessed with misfortune from the moment I was born.

I used to be the illegitimate daughter of a baron, and I lived secluded with my ill mother. Or rather, his mistress.

My mother's condition deteriorated over the years. She went from being able to walk just fine, to requiring assistance for the smallesr of actions. We had her checked by a doctor, but he didn't notice anything abnormal in her body.

Then, when I was 8, the baron decided to invite his illegitimate children to live in his estate. I initially refused, as I didn't want to leave my mother. We were poor, yes. But, I was happy with her and my friends. That was all I needed.

Although I thought that, my mother wanted to convince me otherwise. I tried to reason with her about her condition, but her persistence got to me. After much deliberation, I decided to move in with my father.

A day later after I moved in, the news of my mother's death reached my ears. At that moment, I was pierced with regret. It was all my fault. If I hadn't left so soon, the person who cared for me since I was little would still be with me in this world.

As that happened, I was heavily looked down upon by my half siblings, and the baroness at the estate. They often hit me, and made insults about me wherever they went. I would have liked to protest, but they had more power than me, so that wouldn't be the best decision. Who knows what could happen to me?

I looked like a dirty wolf compared to them. My naturally fierce eyes and tough looking face made it hard for me to find a partner to get engaged to, which made me a laughing stock all the more.

In addition to that, when I was 10, I had gotten my affinity checked. But as it turns out, I have none.

It was devastating living in that place. The mistreatment kept on getting worse day by day. Even my so called father didn't even notice all this happening despite the obvious signs. He's been immersed in oblivion. My relatives took advantage of that blindness. They even went so far as to insult my mother.

I had enough of it. After 2 years of abuse, I finally defied them. I slapped the baroness who made a mockery out of my mother's death. I can tolerate their abuse to me, but to offend my late mother is too much. I acted without thinking, and I realized my mistake a minute too late.

Without a warning, I was sent off to the Grand Duke's estate to work as a maid. They claimed that I was of no use to the family, as I had no affinity, no talent, and was unable to get engaged. I couldn't say anything about that, it was certainly true.

I would've been devasted if it were my previous self. But I had already lost everything. My mother, my friends.. what more could be taken away from me? I could no longer find happiness in such times like this. What I needed to do, was survive. For them.

So, I worked to what my utmost limits could take me. I diligently worked, and avoided making mistakes. Even then, dedicating myself to something didn't really make me feel anything.

"The Grand Duke has returned!" a butler says as he opens the door.

The Grand Duke had kindgom matters to attend to as soon as the Grand Duchess gave birth to Miss Willow. His absence quite annoyed him, considering his daughter was just born and he had to leave immediately after.