Peace or War

Ariana's POV

We finally manage to sneak away from the mountain. After Thorin gave us a mithril shirt each. We're wearing it under our clothes. Thorin also offered me the jewels Thranduil wants. I have placed them in my travel bag. Planning on giving it to Thranduil on he journey home. Doubting he'd be in Dale with the army. Turns out I was wrong, he is here.

Bilbo and I eavesdroped on his conversation with Gandalf and Bard. They were planning to go at war with Thorin. We can't let that happen. "That won't stop them.
You think the Dwarves will surrender? They won't. They will fight to the death" Bilbo states as we enter the tent. I stand behind him.

"Ariana and Bilbo Baggins" Gandalf says.

"Nice to see you alive Gandalf" I state. Avoiding Thranduil's eyes as they look at Bilbo and I.

"If I'm not mistaken... this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards" he states.

"Yes and he is my brother" I add.

"Sorry, about that" Bilbo mumbles.

"Anyway, we're not here to discuss Mirkwood. We came to give you something " I state looking at Bard. Bilbo takes the Arkenstone from his pocket. Placing it on the table for all to see.

"We came... to give you this" he states.

"The Heart of the Mountain. The King's Jewel" Thranduil states.

"And worth a king's ransom. How is this, yours to give?" Bard asks us.

"I took it as my 15th share of the treasure" Bilbo answers.

"Why would you both do this? You both owe us no loyalty" Bard states.

"We're not doing it for you" we tell him.

"We know that Dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult" I state.

"They're suspicious and secretive, with the worst manners imaginable. But they are also brave and kind and loyal to a fault" Bilbo continues. I nod my head in agreement.

"We've grown, very fond of them, and we would save them if we can" I state.

"Now, Thorin, values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, he will give you, what you are owed. There will be no need, for war" he tells Bard.

"And your jewels will be returned to you as I promised" I assure Thranduil. Bilbo left the tent with Gandalf and Bard. As Thranduil wanted to speak to me alone.

"Are you ok?" he asks me.

"A little bruised, but I'll live" I assure him.

"Why did you leave without saying goodbye?" Thranduil asks.

"You would have tried to stop us" I state.

"Of course I would have, the wild is no place for a woman or Halfling " he states. "I'll be sure to have a guard escort you home after this is over" he adds.

"Bilbo and I have grown a lot since leaving the Shire, we know how to fight now" I tell him.

"Prove it" he says and lunges forward sword drawn. I draw mine blocking him. It did not take him long to disarm me and place his sword to my throat. "If you can't best me you don't stand a chance in the wild alone. Especiailly with only a Halfling for help" he states sheathing his sword. "It is late, you should go rest and you will leave tomorrow with your brother " he tells me.

I retrieve my sword and storm out of the tent. Bilbo finds me and we return to the mountain. Where we went our separate rooms to sleep. I fell asleep praying there will be no war.

(Time skip)

Both armies had arrived outside the mountain. The dwarves are dressed for war. Bilbo and I have our mithril shirts on along with our swords. Thorin fired an arrow to stop the advancing armies. When Bard revealed the Arkenstone, the dwarves believed it to be a trick.

"It's not" Bilbo says quietly. Everyone looks at him. "The stone is real. I gave it to them" he admits.

"You?" Thorin asks.

"I took it as my 15th share" Bilbo states.

"You would steal from me?" Thorin asks him.

"Steal from you? No. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one.
I'll let it stand against my claim" Bilbo explains.

"Against your claim? Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!" Thorin shouts. He goes to advance and I point my sword at him.

"You will not harm my brother" I sneer.

"What of you woman, did you steal too?" Thorin demands.

"No, but I do intend on returning the necklace you gave me to its rightful owner" I state. Before he can snap at me, Bilbo draws his attention from me.

"You are changed, Thorin. The Dwarf I met, in Bag End would never have gone back on his word. Would never have doubted... the loyalty of his kin!" Bilbo states.

"Do not speak to me... of loyalty" Thorin sneers. He orders the others to throw us over the wall. They don't move. When he went to do it, I swung my sword lightly and he backs away.

"Don’t make me hurt you Thorin " I plead. He lets Bilbo and I leave in one piece as he speaks to Gandalf. I kept an arm wrapped around Bilbo's shoulders as we walked over to the others. My sword sheathed. We stop by Gandalf and turn to face the mountain.

"Are we resolved? The return... of the Arkenstone for what was promised?" Bard asks Thorin. "Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?" he asks. Suddenly a raven lands beside Thorin who looks at the horizon behind us.

"I will have war" he declares. I turn to see an army of dwarves behind us. I curse silently, what do we do now? Who do we fight? I don't want to fight any of them.

A/N

Picture above of Thorin declaring war.